If any of you guys have engine swaps that still get tested, heads up.

Discussion in 'Arizona Region' started by Knuckle Dragger, May 2, 2017.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I just got tagged as tampered for a evap canister that passed two years ago on my 5.3 swap into a 94 c1500. I've been calling around and it seems this is a new point of interest for ADEQ. It looks like they are sending you to the "waiver line" if anything looks out of place. I haven't gone yet but it sounds a lot like the referee system we had in California. I certainly won't pass that without a lot of work.

Kind of bummed, I don't like having the parking/driving restrictions on this truck that classic insurance will require. :(

2. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I had a similar situation when I took my 88 k5 through last August. It has a stock 350/emissions with a TPI intake installed. They failed me for a "missing vacuum line" on the air pump where it doesn't actually have a vacuum line. After 25 minutes of arguing and him telling me if he was wrong I needed to take it to the waiver station. I took it down the street and plumbed one in, re ran it and passed with my actual emissions higher because it now had a lean miss from the vacuum leak. Argued with the guy again and thanked him for increasing the pollution I was emitting and pulled the line back out. I'm dreading dealing with going back through again this year. Its hit or miss with the tech you get but when it looks out of place they tend to panic. The k5 had passed the visual for 5 years up to that point with no issues but every time drew 2-3 techs before they would pass me.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

what's insurance got to do with state inspection?

4. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    No inspection required if the vehicle is insured under a classic/collectors policy.

5. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ

Crazy isn't it. Coming from California where the techs have hours and hours of training requirements to be licensed these guys seem pretty clueless. If you ask questions so you can understand what's needed they get an attitude. I personally never failed a car without giving the customer a clear understanding why it failed and what the next step was. I spoke with my rep from ADEQ (I can test our fleet vehicles) and he really didn't have clear answers for me either. I would be OK with all of it if it was transparent and consistent.

I bought my 16 year old a car last night. It makes more sense to put my truck on classic insurance while we are getting skinned by teenager rates right now. The truck will end up burning dirtier in the long run, nice win ADEQ ;)

hoppin5478 likes this.
  6. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I agree 100%. I get so frustrated with the system, the techs are underpaid with no training so the turnover seems really high which consequently leaves inadequate personnel doing the job. You can never get a straight answer and its very subjective to the tech. Every swap we have done is significantly lower on the sniffer than what we pulled out. Its a broken system but I don't see any changes coming anytime soon so were forced to play the system. The Camaro has a twin turbo so I just threw it on classic insurance, I can't imagine the headaches it would cause me even though it runs super clean. I'm getting ready to pay some teenage insurance rates too, fun stuff.

7. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I think twin turbos would put them into melt down due to confusion.

Classic insurance seems to have gone up. My Nova was under $200 but the truck is $340 :(

8. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    That does seem a little high. I'm with Haggerty on the Camaro, its only a 2 year old policy, it runs me about $200 a year for 7500 miles and 10k in replacement value. As soon as the car is done ill have it appraised and adjust the insurance accordingly, I'm sure the premium will go up.

9. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Well it's now insured with American Modern under a classic policy. I tried to register it tonight but it still shows I need the test. I just finalized everything today so it likely hasn't been long enough. I just hope they don't mess with me because it failed once. :(

10. KCardAZ_71RS

KCardAZ_71RS Veteran Member

May 20, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Similar incident just recently. Purchased an unmolested 1991 c3500 out of Prescott Valley about 3 years ago. It has the 454 with peanut heads and TBI. It runs great for a truck of that era with that motor and all of those sensors. Fingers crossed it passed emissions just fine for two years, BUT this May they found a broken coupling where the rubber hose connects to the evap canister and failed me. It passed emissions just fine but failed me for "equipment failure". I epoxied this broken coupling and went back to a different station and they went right to that canister and said it could not be glued... that I needed a "new" canister and hose connection. So $150 dollars later... and a 3rd trip to ADOT testing it passed. Frustrating that it passed emissions (the main objective) but failed due to a hose fitting that could not be repaired and had no effect on emissions. After reading this thread I am going to explore moving this truck to Haggarty (with my 71 Camaro) and maybe just side step this stupid process. I'd love to change the heads on this 454, install some headers, maybe put old school carb on her and wake that motor up like GM should have done but couldn't due to smog laws. I wonder though... if I did those changes could I sell it one day. Prob only to someone in "rural" AZ where they don't need to pass emissions.