I think I've been hacked/track or infected.

Discussion in 'NastyZ28 Gamers & Computer Gurus' started by Knuckle Dragger, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I've visited some questionable websites looking for NFL streams over the last weekend. I had some pop ups with the usual phishing crap while on the sites but now I get a pop up window only when I'm on Ebay asking me to authenticate, but says it will not give my password to the site I'm on. It never identifies who is asking or what password and user name it's looking for. Of course I don't give it any info but I keep getting it. I've run the defender scan and superantivirus. The latter found tracking cookies but nothing else. They are cleaned up but I still get the pop up.

Any suggestions? Windows 10 and Firefox is what I'm running.

2. 70Znut

70Znut Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Sarasota,FL
    I have been using and had good results with Malwarebytes for years.
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/
    Download the free version, update it, and run a full scan.
    Then just uninstall it after it cleans things up.
    ...Jeff

3. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Thanks. It didn't pick anything up. I have noticed I only get the pop up if I follow a link for a particular item to eBay from a Google search. If I go onto eBay and search for the same item, or just look around I don't get it. I'm thinking it's not on my box but something attached to Google.

4. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    Do you have Adblock plus? Maybe you can right click block it.

5. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I did not know you could do that with ad block. I will see if it works when I get home.

6. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    I've called eBay before on questions. Might be able to help.

7. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Sounds like the old google redirect virus I used to deal with all the time when I did IT support. It redirects you to an ebay lookalike site to try to phish info out of you.

We tended to have a hell of a lot of trouble getting rid of that particular virus. Combofix was usually the only solution, but I don't think that will work anymore on Win 10.

Try uninstalling your browser, clear cache on the computer (try ccleaner for that). Run malwarebytes FULL scan with rootkit checking while in safe mode (not just the quick one) then reinstall the browser and try browsing again.

If this really is the google redirect, be ready for a ride. When I ran into this particular infection I usually said screw it, and re-imaged the machine. It usually ended up being quicker and obviously more effective.

Good luck!

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Sounds like time for backups. Thanks for the heads up.

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I would backup your personal files and do a clean install of Windows. That fixes this problem along with any other problems that might be lurking in the computer. It also gets you a clean registry so the computer can run like new again. A cluttered registry means a slow computer.