I might need a new vehicle soon - need some advice please!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 76_TypeLT, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Find someone with an on car brake lathe to turn the current rotors if they're thick enough. We do that here in the salt belt on those Honda's and Chevy Colorado's.

But, if you have to change them being you're in Florida it should be a fairly simple salt free swap...... I've watched guys slide hammer the hub from the bearing on those but it's not the right way to do it. Unbolt the bearing from the knuckle, unbolt the rotor from the bearing assembly, slide the old rotor off and reverse procedure to install the new ones.

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This is totally in a different direction but a Subaru Outback with the 3.6 motor is an awesome family hauler. All the room you need for kids and their stuff or family vacations. Very peppy car. Add a hitch and get a simple trailer and you can move around pretty much anything you would need. Gets 24mpg on highway and around 20 around town. Regular gas.

They drive great and if you get the Eyesight safety system you are getting the best collision avoidance system of any manufacturer out there. Fully loaded around $36k.

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I didn't even think they still did that kind of thing. Worth a shot to ask around but I have not seen that done in many years.

4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I'm obviously a Subaru fan, and spent a good amount of time checking out their cars over the summer for my wife's new DD. I felt like the Subaru's just didn't have the features that you got in other brands at a similar price point.
    My decision came down to a dead heat between the Mazda CX5 and the Hyundai Tuscon Limited I ultimately went with Hyundai as their incentives at the time gave me the biggest bang for the buck (same almost everything with more creature comforts). No regrets. The Outback or Forrester would have cost me an extra $10K to get an equivalently equipped car

5. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    We bought our Outback in 2013 and it has been very reliable. I haven't looked at prices since then so I defer to your assessment. My wife did not want an "SUV" and the outback seemed to have more trunk space than the smaller SUVs. It has pretty much the same size cargo space as my 2007 XC70.

In any event, it seems to me one of these type vehicles with a hitch and trailer will serve you well and offer a reasonable compromise to achieve your objectives.

Good luck!

6. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    No complaints on overall Hyundai reliability from me, other than corrosion wise they don't hold up as well as Subaru in the salt belt.

But, you're in California so I suspect this will be a non issue for you.

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    If I was in a snow-state, I'd probably be a little more apt to the Outback/Forrester.
    But at the same time, the MX5 and Tuscon can both be had with all-wheel-drive.

8. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    That's close to what all 3 shops quoted me, so that is good to know. Thanks!

9. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    My last three vehicles were 1997 Acura TL, 2000 Civic and 2006 Acura RSX, lol. They were all good to me. The last two were my wife's hand-me-downs.

10. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    I've had a lot of cars (over 60). Hondas & Acuras for Daily Drivers.
    had 3 1999 Civic Hatchbacks (making a ChumpCar out of one now) one I drove over 500,000 Miles and I bet is still running if a kid didn't get his hands on it & riced it.
    had 2 S2000's - I didn't fit in them (my legs are too long) and I got Sciatica. But I did like Revving to the Moon!
    had a 2006 Acura TL - nice car, but didn't like it.
    got my 2003 RSX a few months ago with 11,000 Miles that was owned by a Famous Racer's Mom.