I might need a new vehicle soon - need some advice please!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 76_TypeLT, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    It warms my heart that a TEXAN has reservations about using a truck as a daily driver. There is hope for humanity. :D Just kidding... I feel you on driving a truck everyday... I just can't do it, and I could use one quite a bit with all the house projects and woodworking.
    If you really like the RSX, you could look at a new TLX. They come with a base 4 cylinder (with 8-speed DCT) if you want max fuel economy, or V6 (9-speed conventional AT). I find the styling to be slightly lacking, but lots of folks around here like them. Or a used TL? My 2006 just crossed 108k miles, still runs like new, and I have yet to spend any significant cash on repairs (I've done brakes all around once, and tires 2x... oh and the bluetooth module). I'd like to get a new car, but I can't justify it given the condition of the TL, plus I'm kinda tapped out cash-flow-wise right now, so there's that, too...:rolleyes:

How about a used 2015 Tesla Model S? :D I don't suppose you want to spend 60-70k on a car.

2. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 1999
    Brighton, MI
    New light pickups - e.g., GM 1500, Ford F-150 - get 20+ MPG on the highway. City is a different story, somewhat less. Around the Detroit area, I see lots of crew cab pickups. The rear seat leg room of the crew cabs seems to be significantly larger than the leg room of the extended cab pickups. But the length of the bed is a bit shorter I believe, with the crew cabs.

My wife and I like the full frame trucks with the SUV bodies. When her Trailblazer wears out, we'll probably get a Tahoe. If we can afford it.

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I saw the ones at Orielly auto parts. Master pro reman 296.00 and another brand for 496.00. You will probably only find remans at the local parts places. If it were me I would do the repair my-self.

4. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    When I replaced my Struts, I looked as a friend said they needed to replace the Rack on a TLX. It sits above the Frame, lots of room around it.

5. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    I would Never get a Honda or Acura with an Automatic Trans - they don't last. The Sticks you can't wear out!

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I priced the R&P on a repair site that I know a little about. PM me if you want to know more ;)
    That is based on the Houston Zip Code

Price breakdown of your quote
    Labor
    Steering Rack/Gearbox Replacement
    Power Steering Fluid Service
    Labor fees $280.50​
    Parts included Quality
    Power Steering Fluid - 1Qt x 2 Aftermarket
    Steering Gearbox New, Aftermarket
    Total cost of parts $836.25
    Tax on parts $68.99
    TOTAL $1185.74

7. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Add another $75 for an alignment after the new rack is installed.

8. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Me either. :)

9. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm probably not the right person to ask. Except for a five year period where I had an Econoline van I've had a full sized pickup truck as my daily driver for over thirty years.

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I have to replace the captive rotors on my wife's 96 accord. What a pain in the you Know what. While I'm there I am going to replace the boots for the Tie rods to rack. I did both axles a couple years ago and noticed the rotors were dicked up but not bad. someone before me slapped new pads on top. I get it. it is not a simple job to put new rotors on. What was Honda thinking? Otherwise her little V6 runs great. After that The A/C compressor bearing is shot. I took the belt off. I told her to just get a new car but she loves it so I try to keep it going. It has close to 200,000. and automatic. I did a tranny drain and refill and drain again at the same time I did the CV axles. Can't complain. The car runs too good, but little stuff keeps breaking like knobs and door handles.