I might need a new vehicle soon - need some advice please!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 76_TypeLT, Nov 9, 2017.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    That's the thing, I would actually like a truck for the practicality, not because I want to be a "truck guy". I've been in a TL, Civic and now an RSX since 2001, so I am a fan of passenger cars.

I plan on getting back into rentals someday and I wish I had a truck when we owned them before. But just the DIYer in me would like a truck. The DD aspect makes a truck much less desirable, totally agreed. I actually considered getting an older work truck if/when we get back into rentals and just carrying liability on it. Might be cheaper and more practical.

Regardless of WHEN I get my next vehicle, I am on the fence about truck vs passenger car. I'd love to drive a truck for a few weeks and see if I can handle it. I might hate it and would regret being stuck in a truck for 10 years.

2. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    oh sure, I will ask about the parts but there's probably not too many places reman'ing R&P units for the RSX. One shop is 2 years/24k mile warranty, so there is at least that. It's not like I want to take my car back multiple times for the same job, however.

3. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Pickups are big, heavy, poor handling, and crappy gas mileage?

I drive my 86 1-ton crew dually to work everyday and get a SOLID 7mpg and it handles like a... wait. I think you might be right... :bowtie:

4. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

I started buying Honda Accords in 1987. Best car I've ever owned. The last Honda my wife had was a 1997 Civic EX. Sold it in 2013. It had 221K and its still running very good. Presently I have a 2010 Accord and my wife has a 2007. No problems - excellent vehicles.

5. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    Rack & Pinion in a RSX has to be an Easy repair! There is nothing near it!

[​IMG]

6. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    why all the hate for pickup trucks ?... I bet if you drove my diesel GMC Denali that handles great and rides like a Cadillac some of you guys might change your mind....And it hauls 5 people comfortably...:).it even hauls groceries.

7. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Dave brings up a very valid point in part quality for your car.......... he's got 30+ years in the business (as do I) so you may want to take the advice for what it's worth.

You'd be shocked at the junk parts out there for little money..... steering/suspension, brakes, exhaust etc..... many shops will get those and charge you the premium part price to pad their own profit margins. Warranty be damned, even Horrible Freight offers a lifetime warranty on all the junk they sell.

8. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Actually, most Honda's are a pain to R&R the rack since they sit inside the frame versus on top or underneath it. But, since the OP is far from the salt belt it shouldn't be the worst job to do.

9. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Sounds like you need a 4door exploerer. Do everything you need it to do...

10. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    My daily driver is a Toyota Tacoma Prerunner double cab. It’s got ample room for all 4 of you plus room for the baby’s stuff. Mine gets around 21-22 mpg on the highway and around 17 city.