I might need a new vehicle soon - need some advice please!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 76_TypeLT, Nov 9, 2017.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    So my 2006 Acura RSX has bad rack & pinion, which is not a cheap repair. The car is worth $3-4k in its current condition (11 years old, 103k miles, "good" condition), which is based on R&P working. So I might need to pull the trigger on a new vehicle soon.

I have always wanted a truck due to the practicality but I am not sure where to begin. I am not going to limit myself to just domestic brands, so please don't flame me for that. I will consider all brands and decide what has the best value for my needs.

I am not sure a truck is even feasible since I will need the ability to transport two kids. I can get a 4-door truck, but that might not be a good fit for my work commuting requirements in Houston traffic. So any advice in this area would be helpful.

So my needs are:

1. Have to be able to transport two kids
    2. Needs to have good safety ratings
    3. Need decent gas mileage (20+ mpg) since I commute
    4. Would like something that is not a POS - my RSX has been mostly bulletproof until this R&P issue. So I am spoiled in that dept. I might be asking a lot here.
    5. Don't need to tow anything and don't need 4x4 capability

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Just my .02, an 2006 Acura with only 106K miles is barely hurt. I believe I'd spend the money to have a new (or reman) R&P unit swapped in. What's yours doing that makes you say it's bad?

Think what that repair might cost vs a year's payments on another vehicle.

carr911 likes this.
  3. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Auburn NY
    I'm with golden, with 106.000 I'd fix the RSX but, it's a good quality car, all though it's a 2 door car, not great people transporter.

4. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I agree, RSX is a great car. If I didn't have 2 kids then it would be a no brainer. Hell, if I had just one kid then I'd probably do the repair. But with a 2 year old and a 5 month old, I will need to be able to transport 2 kids sooner than later. Both will be going to the same school within 9-12 months. So that makes it a tough sell to dump money into a car I might not even keep for another year.

I *CAN* transport two kids in this car, but it's a huge pain. If the car didn't need any repairs at all then I would still very likely get something bigger within the next 2 years.

5. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    The mechanic told me it's bad, so I assume it's bad. It's leaking like a mofo :(

And we're on the same page - I am not one to dump a car over just one large repair. So it's more about my changing needs and the fact that I'd likely get a newer, larger vehicle pretty soon regardless of the condition of the RSX. It's been a good car so it's tough to let it go.

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  6. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I called into three repair shops to get estimates - two will call me back. One told me ~$1200 with a remanufactured R&P unit, which is more reasonable. If that is the going rate, then I might just do the repair and then drive it for as long as I can until I really need to change vehicles. The car is worth more with a functioning R&P than not, that's for sure.

$1200 is cheaper than a year of car payments, obviously. That assumes no other major issues occur, which is doubtful. Engine and tranny function great.

Repair shop #2 - $1270 estimate.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Find out what brand of part they are quoting. Lot's of cheap stuff out there that won't last. Keep in mind the best price isn't always the best job. Do your homework before you commit to a $1,200 repair.

8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    If you simply want a pickup truck, I get that. Personally I'm not a huge fan of them as daily drivers. Pickups are generally big, heavy, poor handling, and get crappy gas mileage compared to their Car based counterparts.

That said, I had a Ram 1500 Laramie V8 as a daily driver for a year and was impressed. Had a Silverado LTZ for awhile afterwards and it was definitely not as well done.

9. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    These three shops are all reputable, at least based on my use and others' use. I'm not just calling random shops, LOL. The first shop quoted the repair using new parts @ ~$1700.

I am waiting on the third, who I'd like to use among the three just because of past experiences.

10. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ

The best mechanic in the world can put in a sh!ty part. I was making no inference on your shopping technique just a warning to know what you're getting on each quote.