I have a new problem - wiper motor won't work....HELP!

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 76_TypeLT, May 3, 2017.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    So after I conquered one issue, another one pops up. The wiper motor (non-pulse, 2-speed, brand new) makes a sharp clicking noise like it wants to engage but it won't actually run. It acts as if it can't get out of the starting gate. My first question is whether the wiper motor is in the correct "park" position.

I am testing the wiper motor using fused power directly from the battery because I am not getting power from the fuse block for whatever reason. The dash switch is fine as far as I can tell. It's only sending ground signals to the motor so no voltage passes through the switch so I doubt that is the problem.

This is the motor as it's currently installed - does that look to be in the correct "park" starting position? Any ideas how to troubleshoot?

2. Toadman2230

Toadman2230 Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Austin, TX USA
    Did you ever solve this? I'm currently having the same issue and don't know where to begin. Gotta have wipers to pass Travis county Texas inspection...
  3. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2003
    belvidere illinois usa
    I checked my electrical book and your wiper arm is in the right position, under the arm is a coil assembly when you move the wiper switch that energizes the coil switch which in turns runs your wipers. when you say you hear a click that's probably the coil energizing but no power through the points to the motor, find a wiring schematic and check for power and negative to the wiper.