I am having trouble PAYING a sub for work - what the heck?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 76_TypeLT, Nov 15, 2017.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    We had a guy do remediation work on our flooded house (house drying) and I have been trying to contact him via text and phone calls to send me an invoice and I cannot get in touch with him. His # is active and his VM has his greeting, so I assume he still exists. We have flood insurance so he will get reimbursed, assuming it's not some egregious price. We actually make some money if he does not invoice us because we get 75 cents/sq ft as a standard remediation reimbursement. But I'd rather the guy get paid for his work.

What are my options here? At some point we have to final settle our claim with FEMA. If he has not contacted me ahead of that time then I don't want to be on the hook for work that our policy would have covered. The agreement with him mentions nothing about how long he has to send me an invoice but there has to be some type of industry standard. I have made a good faith effort to contact him too.

I have never had this much trouble trying to GIVE someone money!

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I would contact the Insurance company and tell them what is going on. Maybe they already paid. Also send a certified or registered letter to the contractor that did the work and tell them to get back with you. If a contractor subbed the work out then try to contact the actual worker. This sounds a little fishy to me though.

Zstar likes this.
  3. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Central Illinois
    I'm having trouble paying a guy that I work with for a side of beef I picked up from the packing house the other day. I hate owing someone money without any way to pay up. He hasn't figured out what I owe him for my share of the cow yet supposedly.

4. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Make up your an invoice for the maximum amount and submit it to the insurance. When he comes by, pay him what he wants and keep the difference.

5. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Uhhhhhhh, insurance fraud....

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    My Mom used to buy meat like that from a packing house in around Canonsburg PA. when I was a kid. We had a huge double freezer. I wish I had one down here. I remember it stunk to high heaven though. I guess the slaughtered the animals on the premises.

7. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    My buddies kid (now like 25) mows my lawn, i had a hand financially putting him in business. Regardless, i like to pay him in full, at the beginning of the season. i hate owing people money. I have bugged him once a week asking him what i owe him. But on the flip side of that i hear from his dad about the kid complaining about people that owe him money......i guess im not "people".

8. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    FEMA is the insurance company in this case :) EVERYTHING has to go through me and then the adjuster with flood insurance, so the sub did not get paid directly by FEMA.

Good idea about sending a certified letter. I need a verifiable paper trail that I attempted to contact him.

The guy who owns the remediation company was physically at my house, so he was the one performing the work, to be clear. He did not sub it out to anyone else. So it's a case of him not being responsive. There's no reason for him to ignore me unless he is sick/dead/in jail.

9. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Even if I wanted to, I can't because the remediation company has to provide drying logs in order to get fully reimbursed. The best I can do is get the generic 75 cents/sq ft for remediation (like my own labor, fans, etc) w/o drying logs and pay him that if he comes around. But that is WAY less than what the invoice would likely be.

10. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Central Illinois
    That's really tormenting the kid - he probably gets the money spent right away on supplies or equipment for the season - or maybe something else. Then by the middle of the season, it feels like he's doing the work for free - even though he isn't.