i am gonna change my oil pump to a high volume so i get more oil

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by stenny, Mar 9, 2011.

1. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2011
    eastern NC
  2. 9T4Z

9T4Z Member

May 24, 2008
    Ontario Canada
  3. grog

grog Veteran Member

Aug 29, 2002
    nj
    All the above oil pumps have an internal bypass where putting in a stiffer spring will give a higher outlet pressure before bypassing. If you're spinning the motor at 8000 PRM and the oil pressure gauge reads 70 pounds, the same amount of oil is being pumped into the motor no matter which pump you have. If the pump is oversized you are wasting power and heating up the oil, that's about it.

4. rebski

rebski Veteran Member

If your building a street engine with a stock oiling system that will only see a blast on the gas once in awhile leave it alone stock is good. If your running the stock windage tray maybe the Z/28 spring. If your doing oiling system mods you should have enough knowledge to choose the correct pump.

In race engines I have a simple rule shove as much of the thinest oil as possible thru the system while mantaining oil temp at a safe level while also sticking to the 10psi per 1000rpm not to exceed 75 psi rule.

If you don't check valve springs all the time leave the restrictors out find another way to keep oil in the bottom.

5. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are they modified? Thats like asking how many colors in a rainbow..:crazy: safe to say many were and many were not.

There is no line in the sand unless you wish to percieve one.

I just dont see it as that big of a deal UNLESS the OP had a real concern to begin with; which I fail to see.

6. 9T4Z

9T4Z Member

May 24, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    I draw the line in the sand!

I do see it as a line in the sand......never argued that a stock oil pump was not fine for a stock engine. Never argued that a stock pump was not OK for performance applications.

BUT :eek:

Several posters have stated that a HV pump in detrimental to a stock engine!

As I said before thats an old wives tale. 'Heating up the oil"? Come on, oil is the lubricant and coolant, 25% more cooling IMO ..sucking the pan dry etc. not at RPM that a stock engine can produce.

HV pump is NOT detrimental to a stock engine. Period. Done. No stock engine will ever meet conditions that would ever make oiling from a HV pump 'detrimental' That's the line. :( Black-White-Black-White :confused:

I love these smiley things :confused: :crazy:

7. stenny

stenny Veteran Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Boston, MA
    i would rather have more oil then have a old pump die and have no oil i am buildiing this engine to last as long as possible my buddys chevelle oil pump went and he blew apart the engine and i dont have that type of money to spend buying as new or rebuilding a engine so i would rather be safe then sorry

8. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Talking I draw the line in the sand!

I respect that and this thread still amuses me greatly.

9. stenny

stenny Veteran Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Boston, MA
    my friend has a chevelle with a 454 he was driving it to put it away for the winter punched it to pass a car in boston and he blew the engine cuz the oil pump failed because the person he got the car off has a stock oil pump when he needed a high volume oil pump so it cost him a few thousand to rebuild it which i dont have he has a good running company and has more money then i do to spend so i want to eliminate any chances of doin that especially since the kid i got my car from is a moron all the work he did and people he knows did on this car was hack and inncorrect like he cut holes in the place where the rear speakers go to drop them down rather then look and realize that they go up from the trunk there are soo many issues i am still trying to fix on this car