i am gonna change my oil pump to a high volume so i get more oil

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by stenny, Mar 9, 2011.

1. 9T4Z

9T4Z Member

May 24, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    It is not unreasonable to argue that a HV oil pump is of little benefit to a stock or slightly modified engine. I will accept that point of view. ;)

It is complete 'old wives tales' to argue that it will be detrimental to that same engine. No basis in reality, all here say about 'I knew a guy....' :confused:

Stock or street modified it will never empty the sump, never put all the oil in the top end, never wear out the distributor, never foam the oil etc etc. :p

These smiley's are fun! We agree to disagree

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. rustbucket79

rustbucket79 Veteran Member

Glossed over the posts, here's my .02.

Our stock SBC's get M55's.
    Our mild/performance SBC's get M55's with the Z/28 high pressure spring.
    Anything race or that warrents the durability get's a M Select, std vol, high pressure.

Something noteworthy is we groove the lifter bores on probably 75% of the SBC's we build (added oil vol circulation) or they are running oiling holes in the lifters. This doesn't seem to show up on the gauge at idle, which means (to me) that the std vol pump still has excess volume, if it didn't we would see poor idle pressure. Then again, we aren't putting together SBC's with .003" bearing clearance. .0015"-.002" with round journals on a factory cast crank is plenty and will give you a good 30 PSI idle pressure. Aftermarket forged need more clearance.

I can honestly state I can count the number of high volume pumps we've installed on SBC's over the past 19 years on one hand. My 408 and later on my current 406 both received high vol std pressure pumps due to main bearing issues I was having back when I was running it externally balanced, and to be honest when I built the 406 I reused the 408 pump with it's matching Moroso pickup. The pan is coming off for a bearing inspection prior to going back racing after nearly 4 years, and at that time I will be swapping the HV pump for an old M55 with the better pump body because the HV pump is simply not needed.

3. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2011
    eastern NC
    my gosh...Sooooo happy I read this thread...!!!

Had NO idea a high volume oil pump would be detrimental to my STOCK engine...

wish I had KNOWN that 10yrs and 236,000 miles ago...

reckon it's too late to change it...? :screwup:

LOL...

4. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This thread is amusing.

considering the millions of SBC's on the road with combined Billions of miles with those inadequate stock pumps.

5. 9T4Z

9T4Z Member

May 24, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Are they modified, all those billions of miles? The real line in the sand is those claiming that a HV pump is detrimental.......:confused:

6. Swanny454

Swanny454 Veteran Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Cambridge IL
    I am running a high volume pump with a 7qt pan. I have done this for almost 10 years on all my street engines and demolition derby motors. I have had NO bearing failures, no cams going flat, actually only problem I have had is melting pistons, and thats after I lose the radiator in a demo and decide to melt it down to try and win. I also have been using 15w40 Rotella diesel oil which alot of people say is a no no. I think we all have our own theories and we all have success and failure stories.

7. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Again, IF you install a HV pump, you SHOULD take into account that it COULD pump all of the oil to the top of the engine ESPECIALLY if you run the engine at high (7000+) RPMS for an extended period of time.

AND you have to pay attention to detail: make sure that the oil can get back to the pan by removing any obstructions like casting flash in the block and heads oil return holes, make sure that the oil pump pickup is between 3/8" and 1/2" off the bottom of the pan, install a windage tray (which helps keep the oil from being whipped around by the crank), just to name a few things that should be done to ANY engine.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  8. stenny

stenny Veteran Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Boston, MA
    car runs perfect with oil pump except i tightened down valves too much so i have to readjust them cuz it is backfireing

9. gothrod87

gothrod87 Veteran Member

Jun 19, 2009
    abbeville, sc
    Ive run stock oil pumps in every Chevy or gm Ive had..Never had an issue in thousands of road miles

10. bc409

bc409 New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    central oregon
    twice ive removed hv oil pumps from sbc and reinstalled stock pump with 69 z28 bypass spring.Its your car and there are plenty driving around with hv pumps and doing just fine,but please add a larger pan and a windage tray if you go hv.My theory is that most street rod and cruise night guys dont work the engine hard enough to encounter problems but when a kid goes mudding or spinning donuts at high rpms the stock pan becomes a problem that is exagerated by the hv oil pump.I personally spun donuts till the lifters started rattling when i was young and dumb.stopped and let the car idle down,noise went away.the next day a wise old racer set me straight and ive never used a hv pump with a stock pan again.