i am gonna change my oil pump to a high volume so i get more oil

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by stenny, Mar 9, 2011.

1. stenny

stenny Veteran Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Boston, MA
    i am gonna change my oil pump to a high volume so i get more oil so i dont ruin my engine and cuz i am doin work little by little and eventually i am gonna have a big block street thumper and i would like to have a high flow oil pump so its not starving for oil when idling

2. stenny

stenny Veteran Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Boston, MA
    i was told to get oil pan out i will have to jack up engine

3. Scatter

Scatter Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Millbrook, Al
    This is true! Just un do the engine mount and jack er up a bit.....Whatch your distributor, so you dont smash it

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    I've always used a HV pump myself. but if your engine is built right you're just bypassing more oil, wasting horsepower. But I'll still use one.

5. 9T4Z

9T4Z Member

May 24, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    true it does use hp... but at idle you get a bit higher flow and pressure....

6. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Fairfield, CA
    What modifications are you making that you feel the need more low rpm oil pressure/volume?

7. thor3228

thor3228 Veteran Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Kenosha Wisconsin
    I have always been told to stay away from hv pumps,They will empty your pan faster then the oil can return to it and cause starvation especially at higher rpms,

8. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY

Holy words!

9. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Why do you think you need to install a high volume oil pump? Unless you have a highly modified high compression engine, your engine doesn't need and shouldn't have a high volume oil pump.

Understand that the stock oiling system has NEVER been a problem with a stock to mildly modified SBC.

I don't recommend putting a high volume oil pump alone in a motor. It requires that you do a lot more work than just that. Mainly, it's about oil flow and oil control.

Here's what usually happens: the HV pump pushes all of the oil to the top of the engine. The oil has to flow back to the oil pan sump using gravity. You can't change gravity but you can change how fast the oil gets back. Now the oil pump has little or NO oil to pump back into the system = burned bearings.

How to make the oil return faster: cleaning out any casing slag in the oil return holes in the heads, lifter valley, painting the inside of the block with oil resistant paint (like GE Gyptal 1201 red enamel paint), and anywhere that the oil has to return through.

The there's the oil control mechanisms. Windage tray, crank scrapers, and cam gallery restrictors.

Plus any good engine builder will put a higher capacity oil pan and possibly add an accumulator to the engine just to make sure that the oil pump always has oil available for it.

10. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Fairfield, CA
    I understand that the HV pump puts out more oil at lower rpm when you are not on the relief valve, but how does the HV pump put more oil to the top at higher rpm with basically the same pressure?
    The real problem is that the relief valve is constantly in relief, and the energy that was put into the oil returns as heat at the output of the valve, and it also aerates the oil in the pan. Lots of air and heat in your oil will cause the pressure to fluctuate.