hybrid camaro...check it out.

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 70ish camaro, May 5, 2008.

1. 70ish camaro

70ish camaro Veteran Member

Apr 14, 2008
    mandeville, la
    hey everyone. me and my dad bought this heap for $250 back in 2000 when i was 15. we drove it home with while pulling a Fred Flintstone because the holes in the floors were so big. since then we fixed it up OK once, got it running, put up with with hurricane Katrina's aftermath and then i tore it completely back down to nothing but a shell for a total restoration. this go around I'm doing alot of custom things that were never standard in these camaros. my goal: making a hybrid camaro that is unlike everyone elses and that i love to drive.

first, how we got it
    [​IMG]
    rust in the usual places:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:bowtie: ~mike~

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. 70ish camaro

Apr 14, 2008
    mandeville, la
    more...

pics after me and my dad fixed up were destroyed so ill just how after Katrina.
    fast forward to when i started to play with it a little while going to college and working a better job to finance it. :bowtie: ~mike~

hurricane flooding the insides.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    cant find a outside car pic, but think blue paint covered in filthy muddy salt water that re-rusted the old rust even further.

:whine:

3. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Man, You got yer hands full there!!

Is your tetnis shots current?

4. 70ish camaro

Apr 14, 2008
    mandeville, la
    more...

this is more recent tear down of the car which began last year. I'm combining a 1978 camaro body with a 1973 front and rear plus a whole bunch of mods to suspension, interior, engine, and tranny. ill post more pics when i get to that point. why not just buy a 1970-73 you say? this is my father and i first and only project together and i will never get rid of it. plus it is always fun to do something "out the box";)

gutted interior and started smoothing firewall, patching floor:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    removing 78 quarters and preping for new 70-73s.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 70ish camaro

Apr 14, 2008
    mandeville, la
    even more...

surprise i found behind both the quarters:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you can see the new piece welded onto the bottom right. painted with rust preventative paint and ready for new full quarters:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i will post some more with both new quarters on tomarrow. looks crazy already! i love it.

6. a79Classic

a79Classic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Alotta work there... Great progress.. Umm.. I hope you are wearing a mask while working on the car. All that toxic water that leached thruout N.O. and other areas is scary stuff!!! I have two friends that are now dealing with an "Unknown" respritory issue since being around all that stuff..:(

7. 70ish camaro

Apr 14, 2008
    mandeville, la
    yeah i am. been very careful, respirator, throwing mold junk away and whatnot. luckily i live 30 miles north of new Orleans and didn't have to be in the sewage water. unluckily it still flooded enough to get water in the car half way up the door sucks but what u gonna do? ~mike~

8. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
  9. RSA'81B

RSA'81B Guest

Woah..now there's a challenge!!
    Good start there.

10. dustypowers

dustypowers Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 21, 2005
    Atoka Tenn