HVAC duct work

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Alan Burg, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Alan Burg

Alan Burg New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Pulled the 78 out of storage after 20 years! Doing some interior, under dash reno, noticing that there are 2 areas where the duct work isn't properly sealed, but looks like its supposed to be that way. First is where the defrost 'Y' vent meets the heater box there is a 2" gap and second where the elbow coming off the heater box meets the air spreader(the piece that the hoses hook up to). I feel like the blower motor would loose a lot of power with all this open space. My question is, it does look like factory conditions, but I'm wondering if I should seal it up since I have the whole dash apart? I'm thinking the HVAC system would be a lot more efficient. Can anyone offer any expert insight? Thanks

2. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    welcome . i know my 73 has that too . not 2 inches but the gap between the y . there might have been some foam there at some point and it's deteriorated , who knows . there's a reason for everything . i would just use some black duct tape ( or gorilla tape ) as maybe it has to be a soft connection . i mean , it blows into the cabin area anyway but most ( like mine ) are loosing fan speed as time goes on and all additional vent air is a good thing .

3. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Mine has foam gasket