Hurt engine again

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Jim184, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Jim184

Jim184 Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Creamridge, NJ
    Haven't posted anything since July. After making one pass we had an oil leak someplace on the engine. Found valve cover gasket on pass side was bad, replaced and made a few passes on the street. Son came back and said oil press was acting funny, going low then coming most of the way to normal. Checked gauge which turned out to be good. Pulled pan and found one real bad main bearing, crankshaft was also hurt.
    Pulled engine out and sent to engine builder local to us Bobby Bammann in Cream Ridge NJ. He found a lot more damage, have a couple pics of block main bearing, cam sprocket, and front of block.
    Needless to say we need a new engine which Mr Bammann will be doing. It will be 489 or 496 we were told it will have 750 or more hp. This with the weight of the car someplace around 2700 lbs should put us mid to low 9's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And one of the real race car we're putting together, just finished rear suspension and wheelie bars not shown in picture.
    [​IMG]

Mrdragster1970 be easy on me for not posting sooner. Been real busy with the job, grandchildren, and life it all gets in the way.

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Get off the damn computer and fix that thing!!!!
    I hope this isn't the same shop that built it and it broke that quick???

800 HP @3000 lbs is good for 9.30-.40's, so you should be right there or better!!

Good luck getting her back out there, winters here anyway :(

3. Jim184

Jim184 Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Creamridge, NJ
    No this shop is one of the best in NJ, he has a lot of fast engines on the east coast. He stands behind his work. Just going to cost a bunch of money.

When time comes for the vega my son is thinking about a 540 BB with a procharger!!

4. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Tough break on your engine. Hope you get into the low 9’s with your next one.

5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it's a baby Pro-Charger, the 540" is fine.
    If you go with a monster Pro-Charger, you might want to consider a 509"
    I've been told too big might not be as crisp with monster boost???

I've been considering doing boost on my 582" and several guys have told me to knock it down to 500"????
    Still learning, but they just don't like my plans :(

6. Jim184

Jim184 Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Creamridge, NJ
    I was told the same thing. We are still learning the boost thing too. Engine builder said to go small block and pro-charger said it would work better, and easier manage. Doesn't matter right now that's in the future. One problem at a time first get the camaro going.

Brett thanks man I'm sure the new engine will get us there.