Hurst shifter stick question

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Lynd McCormick, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    My 73 is a console car currently with the console removed. The console won't fit because the shifter hits it on the left side. The stick was bent left and I straightened it, still too far left and imo, too far back.

The stick is 11" high, no offset from center, and curved back about 7", I think it's the wrong stick. Everything I see shows 70-72 taking a 5386836 Hurst stick but not showing it being in a 73. I think the offset will help and the slope back will be better, but will it hit the dash in first and third?

Anyone running a 5386836 in their 73 console car?

2. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    You probably could offset drill a metal extension that you can hide under the boot to put the stick where you want it

3. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I bought a new competition plus shifter with a 1" offset and a 4" return, fits the console and my reach perfectly!

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    It depends on what the shifter was originally for .And there are a variety of sticks as well

5. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Hurst used to sell just the shifter handle separately for a specific vehicle application.

6. 4-speed

4-speed Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southington,Ohio
    The console was changed in 73. This is what the shifter Handle should be for hurst, ITM shifter uses a different handle that is the same shape.
    Russ

7. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    That’s what was in mine and it nowhere near fit or was comfortable. The layback was so much that the knob hit my leg. The straight shaft put the shifter so far left that the console piece that goes in over the boot hits the shifter. I went with a 1” offset shifter with much less layback and everything is now good to go.

I have that original shifter on my workbench if anyone is looking for one. It’s labeled 4106.

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    The just change the "stick".I have a Hurst "Super Shifter" in my 1979 Z-28 RS. The straight one I hit my knuckles. So I just one that angles back . I have also have had Hurst Competition Plus part # 3917438 with console 3918794 for one with out a console for a Muncie M-21 4 speed. All else fails contact Hurst.