Hurst shifter stick question

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Lynd McCormick, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick New Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    My 73 is a console car currently with the console removed. The console won't fit because the shifter hits it on the left side. The stick was bent left and I straightened it, still too far left and imo, too far back.

The stick is 11" high, no offset from center, and curved back about 7", I think it's the wrong stick. Everything I see shows 70-72 taking a 5386836 Hurst stick but not showing it being in a 73. I think the offset will help and the slope back will be better, but will it hit the dash in first and third?

Anyone running a 5386836 in their 73 console car?

2. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Canada
    I removed this Hurst shifter from a console equipped 73Z. I don't know what the handle number would be . It's a Comptition Plus shifter . It used the low factory bracket with the bent rods .

Attached Files:

3. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    You probably could offset drill a metal extension that you can hide under the boot to put the stick where you want it

4. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick New Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I bought a new competition plus shifter with a 1" offset and a 4" return, fits the console and my reach perfectly!

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

It depends on what the shifter was originally for .And there are a variety of sticks as well

6. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Hurst used to sell just the shifter handle separately for a specific vehicle application.