Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'Florida Region' started by PalmbchZ28, Sep 5, 2017.

1. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Did you rebuild on the same spot? That is just unreal. I live inland so I have been lucky. My street Floods when a regular cloud burst happens. But we are not in a flood plane. It is like a bowl. poor engineering when these houses were built. I'm Concrete block.

2. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    A tip you guys that plan on sticking this thing out at home.
    Take some ziploc bags and fill them with water (not completely full) and freeze them. The Ice will help keep the fridge cool when power is out, also it is a way to store water.

If anybody else has some tips that aren't widely known post'em.

Smokey15 likes this.
  3. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    God, I hope that it takes a hard turn east.

4. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    No my wife did not want to live on the ocean!! we stuck it out for three months but then a earthquake hit around Dec 9th.... Yes you heard me a Damn earthquake hit !! and that was enough for us so we moved back to the States.
    We bought the house we are in now and Hurricane Wilma Eyewall hit us 1year later. It was crazy...I have video of when the Eyewall went over us and it was clear blue sky.
    Life in the tropics

5. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Your insurance policy might be different...but if your car is not currently located at the address listed on the policy then you need to call and have the insurance company add it. I have a car at a shop 30 miles south of me that cant be reassembled and moved in time. Yesterday we called just to make sure it was covered and they added the mechanics address to the policy. The shop has insurance for it's owner's contents but not for cars under repair. Seems like I learn something new every time we have a damn hurricane.

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    A note about insurance. When Andrew Beat up Homestead 25 yrs ago the insurance companies took a beating as well. Because of that Allstate Dropped me like a hot rock. I never made any claim since I have lived here. But they screwed me any way. I got stuck with Universal. They are raping me at 1700.00 a year. They sent a woman to take pic's of my house a few months ago. She shows up unannounced and ask to take pic's. I said no problem. Well she came back 3 more times. It was harassment. They claimed my roof was no good. They threatened to drop me. I had to have a certified roofer come and evaluate my roof. I had a leak from a nail head that rusted away. I could not find the leak so I started up high where my ridge vent was. I painted the perimeter with black roof cement. Looked like hell. It ended up dripping in my laundry room so I cut the ceiling open and found the nail and pulled it straight through and saw day light. It was below the area where it should have been nailed not under the shingle. The roofer sent pic's of the roof and said the roof was sound but Insurance said I would have to replace the ridge vent because it looked like I patched a leak there. The vent never leaked But I had to Pay 350.00 to have a perfectly good vent ripped out and replaced. I tried to get different Insurance but mine had black balled me and no one would even touch me. I had to go through the process with the roofer and have him write a certified roof inspection. The roofer told me they have to abide by his determination and gave me another 10 yrs of usable service. I got reinstated but my policy went up 200.00 from 1500.00. What a F job. I have been going around fixing every little thing I can find so I can find a new company. Aggravation to the max. Who do you have for Insurance?