HP gains from just a valve job?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by need-for-speed, Oct 17, 2017.

1. need-for-speed

need-for-speed Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Conroe, TX
    I've been curious if it's worth it to port my Edelbrock performer heads. It's only a 5500 - 5800 rpm motor. So I called the machine shop and the guy laughed at my little heads. He said I probably wouldn't want to spend a thousand $ for porting those small heads. (he might be right)

He said I might be able to pick up 25 HP +/- with a valve job. I think the eddy heads already have a 3 angle valve job.

I do plan to at least have a valve job done (I have one bent exhaust valve and need new springs).
    Anyone know how I might pick up HP with just a valve job?

2. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

My machine shop ( Steve Ashworth Performance ) claims incredible flow increase and horsepower but they cut the seat/head all the way in then do the valve job. He said I left a lot on the table doing the basic 3 angle but I didn't have the cash at the time.

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A radius valve job gives better flow, move the seat way out to the edge gives better flow, but shortens the valves life.
    Cleaning up around the seat also can help flow.
    There's stuff that can be done, but as mentioned, is it worth it on such a low powered combination???

Hell look at the $1,000 of dollars some guys spend on 5 HP or to save 10 lbs.

Good luck fixing your damage!!!!

4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Unless the heads are off for some other reason, I would put the money somewhere else.

5. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Frostbite Falls MN
    If you have them off get some porting done along with the valve job.

6. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

He's got a bad valve & needs springs.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I would buy better heads.

8. need-for-speed

Feb 7, 2003
    Conroe, TX
    mr dragster is correct. I have already pulled the heads. I called one machine shop and he laughed at my little Edelbrock heads and said it would be a waste of money to port them. I think he was just being a dick.

So far not having a lot of luck finding a place to take them. Since I have the heads off I’m thinking of removing the valves and porting them myself and then let a shop machine the valves replace the springs and reassemble.

I would be doing very minor ie. bowl blend/ stage 1 - since I don’t want to raise the RPM band. I’m pretty handy with tools. Question is can I learn by watching videos and such. I’ve learned a lot from them for other tasks with great success.

9. need-for-speed

Feb 7, 2003
    Conroe, TX
    You sound like the machine shop guy LOL (without being a dick, of course) I rarely drive this car so I don’t think I want to spend the money for different heads. Also this motor has a cast rotating assembly so I don’t really even want to spin it faster than 5500 RPM

10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    If the heads are off... polishing the exhaust port is easy and will yield some gains.