Hows this 78 camaro for sale look

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by JayP, Nov 20, 2017.

1. JayP

JayP New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Thinking about looking at this Camaro, but I live a good ways away. Lots of fresh stuff, 330hp gm crate 350, he says the trans leaks though, has 2.73 gears with a spool for whatever reason. He said it is a daily driver, even claims to have taken it to Houston. Has some rust though, which he pictured pretty good, says the frame rails are solid. Personally I could care less about rust but I know these are unibody cars. Would suck for it to snap in half or something while I'm driving lol. Really just looking for a driver, and this one sounds really solid mechanically. But I've got no idea how much rust is too much, what do you think of the rust and price? he says the price is firm at 3500.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1978-camaro/6364270812.html

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    For a driver... Not bad. (A test drive would tell you much more)
    I'll bet he takes $3k if it's for sale more than a couple of weeks. ;)

As a project.... It's an old, used car and a complete restoration is gonna set you back way more than it will be worth.
    You could probably drive it for a couple of years and part it out for what you paid.

3. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    JayP
    The owner probably has a couple grand put into the car with the gauges and the engine if he has paperwork to prove it. That car is probably about 30 minutes away from where I live. I'm flying up north tomorrow for the holidays but will be back home on Saturday. If the guy still has the car for sale and if you are interested in it I could go look at it for you and give you a real close look at it.

4. JayP

JayP New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    I'm actually passing through dallas tomorrow for the thanksgiving, only passing through though so not sure the guy will be off work to sell it midday. And yeah I wasn't planning on restoring or anything like that, may patch up the rust and maybe a paint job as the time comes. But just want a reasonably solid daily.
    Went to look at another Camaro a while back where the floors were rusty and the windshield was cracked from the corner across. I read later that may have been from the lack of structural support. Don't want to deal with that.