how to vinyl dye from seats???

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Swims350, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Swims350

Swims350 Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Logan wv
    anyone ever removed vinyl dye from seats and not ruined the vinyl? I've searched online and keep seeing use acetone zylene? and thinner or even mineral spirits. I figure those would remove the dye but worry about ruining the material.

I ask because I got a 79 trans am, seats are perfect, but they are red, I'm not fond of red interior, plus they are dyed red, I can see black showing like in the zipper seam in back and like on the bottom. If they were actual red viyl covered I would leave them.

BUT

they are dyed so I'm thinking either remove it so they'll be black, which is what I want, or redye them black. The back I'll have to do black regardless because they were white, but I can see some black on them and then the red.

2. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    If die is not pellin, I would use lacure thinner on what seems to be to thick, you will need to degrees clean seat very good,never been a fan of dieing seats that gets used a lot. Your just taking a chance for Die over the red, be good for awhile. Maybe

3. Swims350

Swims350 Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Logan wv
    I know that's why I don't want to dye them but they've already been dyed.

The fronts look to have been black vinyl made that way and they got dyed red, rears look to have been white vinyl that was once done black and then again in red.

I wanted to strip the fronts to black and leave them, then do the rears black. I doubt theyget used much