How to transport 8' pickup bed using my pickup. Doing it tonight, help!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by BondoSpecial, Aug 2, 2010.

1. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    I have an 88 Chevy K1500 and I found a great deal on a rust free 8' replacement bed. I am thinking of bringing scrap 2x4s and a whole bunch of big tie down straps and wood clamps with me and flipping the new bed upside down, placing it on top of my existing bed padded by 2x4s, clamp the corners with big screw wood clamps, and then run a bunch of long tie down straps around both beds. Has anyone done this before? It's an hour and a half from my house so I need to make sure the assembly is firmly together. I have been looking for a reasonably priced rust free bed for this truck for 2 years and finally found one

Thanks

Steve

2. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    Sounds about what you want to do will work just fine

3. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Yeah,that sounds fine.For more,you could get small scraps of 2x4 (2ft)and screw them upright thru your old bed to help keep the new one from sliding off.Sort of to peg it in place.Then youd just have to worry about clamp down.

4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    thats not a bad idea, you mean through the 6 pockets where my anchors are right now. The only problem is gonna be getting 4 of the 6 anchors out, those things are probably seized in there. I will try though, it's not like I have to worry about hurting the old bed

5. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Central Illinois
    I agree, I wouldn't haul without pegging them together.

6. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Can't picture it.....but do those beds have tie-down loops in the lower corners that are used to secure straps, etc.?

If so, you could flip the replacement bed upside down like you stated, then use ratchet straps to hook from one corner of the current bed to the opposite corner of the new bed.....do this on all 4 corners so that your straps make a big X (criss-crossing each other). That would hold it in place. Definitely use 2X4's to 'cushion' between the bed rails.

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    It's gonna look a little funny going down the road....

[​IMG]

Hope it works for you!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  8. 2ndgenhunter

2ndgenhunter Veteran Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Blairsville,GA
    Why don't you just pull off your old bed and duct tape your taillight to the rear bumper and drive it there with out a bed? Get put the new bed on and toss in a few bolts and plug in the harness or put your taillight in the new bed.

9. CMitchell

CMitchell Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Southeastern N.C.

+1 that sounds like a winner

10. patgizz

patgizz Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 10, 1999
    Cleveland
    guy bought one off me. we loaded upside down on his and he used 4 c clamps to clamp the rails together, said he does it all the time.