How to polish slots

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Noah_Seward, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Noah_Seward

Noah_Seward Veteran Member

Dec 9, 2011
    How do you polish aluminum slot rims? Their not badly pitted or corroded. Just not as polished as i want them to be. I bought some mothers aluminum polish, and a mothers powerball (goes in a drill) and i got them just a little bit better.

I've seen a few people on here with polished slots. And i'm wondering how you guys did it. Thanks in advance.

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

on my ansen sprint slot dish mags when i first got them they were very oxidized and had alot of paint overspray especially my 15x10's . all i used to polish them up was use sand paper ,metal polish and alot of elbow grease . i first started off with 600 grit paper and worked my way up to 2500 grit but using wet/dry sand paper . after i got a really nice smooth finish i started using metal polish like mothers billet aluminum polish then worked that into ea wheel finish up with cornstarch powder

ea wheel i maybe have 2hrs worth of polishing/sanding and they look awesome ,hope this helps ya !!!

3. Penskr2

Penskr2 Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i done some polishing by using my 6'' grinder/buffer.. slow speed works Excellent.. using mothers polish alittle goes a long way..

here is a few pics..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is what i used
    - Mothers Polish
    -Buffer ---> http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-variable-speed-polisher-sander-92623.html

** Using this attachment --->http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-8-inch-buffing-wheel-set-46262.html

- clean towels for cleaning after buffing..
    When polishing beware of the black dust, wear a dust mask and make sure to go slow with the buffer..
    ** also i have used some sandpaper to make it ever better start with 220,400 800, 1000 grit , shine is beautiful...
    hope this helps...

4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    WOW, how long did it take?

5. TonyZ

TonyZ Veteran Member

Jan 1, 2007
    LaMoille, Illinois
    have the same issue need to clean my slots up too!!!
    [​IMG]

6. Russ White

Russ White Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Lincoln UK
    wheel polish

I find maguires metal polish works best on my slot mags and stops the oxidation coming back.Russ

7. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    Man, I need to get my mind out of the gutter......

As for those slots, a lot of elbow grease, a good polishing compound, and time.

You can speed it up using those wheel polishing balls on a drill, but for the little crease and such you will have to do it by hand.

8. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

here's my slot dish mags and all i used was wet/dry sand paper from 600 grit up to 2500grit then finish polishing with mothers billet aluminum polish followed by cornstarch powder . when i bought them they were in pretty sad shape with heavy oxidation and paint overspray and now they look awesome !!!!

these pics are with the wheels not being polished/cleaned in maybe 4 months !!! but still look awesome !!!

15x10 western slots

[​IMG]

15x4.5 us-indy slots

[​IMG]

9. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
  10. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA