How To Microsquirt your LS engine : Video

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by CasperCasper, Feb 6, 2018.

1. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    I just have no desire to own one. I value simplicity in my car because I drive it once a week. I'm not the guy who would go out of his way to get a DBW setup for small benefits, my car doesn't even have a headliner in it right now hahahaha. I'm more than happy with my dead simple EFI system. It idles perfect, runs perfect, gets great mileage and is very reliable. I chose the micro because it doesn't need a maf, is tiny, is cheap, has free software, is easy to tune, is designed to be tuned, and allowed me to learn a ton about EFI. The IAC on my car was a bit tricky to tune but didn't take me much more than an hour of playing around, 15 mins here and there when the car was cold. The micro is for someone who wants a dead simple EFI system, but is not for everyone. The GM stuff works great in a ton of applications, I just personally decided against it.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ^ I get you, the question was asked why everyone didn’t just go micro and there are plenty of reasons

3. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Nice tutorial!

The Microsquirt is the entry level system that Megasquirt offers, for a little bit more you can go MS2 or better yet MS3 and eliminate the batch fire and gain more flexibility. I run an MS3 with full sequential, coil on plug on an LT1 with all my boost controls, water injection safe guards, etc. It is far superior to anything I have seen from the factory, especially for tuning and custom applications but no matter what you do there are drawbacks. It takes quite a bit of electrical knowledge and time to get it all set up right. I used GM controllers for years and unless I need it for emissions/smog reasons I find it easier to run MS2/MS3. I have MS3's on my supercharged Fox Body, turbo Camaro, LS K5 and my brothers turbo Daytona's. I've generally have been running an MS2 on the non force induction set ups like my K5 and my dads square body. Takes some getting used to but I really like it.

CasperCasper likes this.
  4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Lol...who does a LS swap with smog and emissions.

Everyone can decide what’s best for them. I’ll stick with GM for my application. Looks like the MS3 stuff is more then a typical GMPP kit.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    ^ I get you, the question was asked why everyone didn’t just go micro and there are plenty of reasons
    Believe he said "more people", not "everyone". Casper, I just wanted to complement you again on the videos. Obviously a lot of time, effort and thought went into them, and it shows. Keep up the good work! And looking forward to the rear disc one.

CasperCasper likes this.
  6. CasperCasper

Aug 11, 2015
    Thank you!

7. CasperCasper

Aug 11, 2015
    Heres a quick video on why I used the micro and not the stock gm ECU. The video footage is random harness building stuff while I babble!

Zulu28 likes this.