How To Microsquirt your LS engine : Video

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by CasperCasper, Feb 6, 2018.

1. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Hey everyone,

I recently built a Microsquirt setup for my friend's 1967 Chevy C10 and decided to video tape the process and make a quick tutorial for you! The micro is such a good ls swap item I can't believe more people don't use them.

The microsquirt is a really cool little unit. It's a bit different than a stock GM ECU because it runs batchfire, meaning it fires 4 injectors (2 on each rail) at once. It also runs wasted spark which means it fires two coils at once (one on the exhaust stroke). It does these two seemingly odd things to save circuit board temperature and space. This is not the MOST modern efi technology but it still works really well. You will sacrafice a little fuel mileage with this setup but it's minimal at most.

The micro has a ton of advantages over a stock gm ecu; it's cheap (less than $400 with harness), small, easily tunable, will teach you everything you need to know about efi, doesn't use an ugly MAF sensor, has free software to tune with (the ultra version is $90), and also has a lot of great troubleshooting functions (you can fire coils, injectors etc. from your laptop).

If you run an automatic transmission then you will need a transmission controller. In this case, it may make more sense to use the factory GM harness and computer.

This video is a quick how to on a microsquirt LS setup. I'm sure I've missed some details. I haven't gone into tuning at all because I don't want to claim to be some amazing tuner; I'm still learning that part of this too. If you use my basic settings your engine should fire up and from there, you can tweak it. With some basic research online you can get to the same level I'm at where your car runs great and makes good power! The key tool is a wideband O2 sensor that feedsback into your micro. The autotune function in the Ultra version of tuner studio works great when you're just getting your car setup and building a base map.
    Let me know if you have any questions or feedback! Thank you very much to everyone who has subscribed my channel. I am going to start a video build series on my Camaro very soon, I just haven't been doing anything too interesting to it yet. I am also thinking about doing a video on a 10 bolt blazer rear disk conversion. Would you guys be interested in that?

2. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Peoria, Az
    If you do the S10 disk video, it would be great if you added in the brake line conversion stuff too. That's one of the things I haven't gotten done yet on my conversion.

CasperCasper likes this.
  3. CasperCasper

Aug 11, 2015
    Sure. I am also making a video build for the few winter things im getting up to. What brake line conversion stuff has you lost?

4. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Peoria, Az
    Not so much "lost" but haven't acquired the parts for the lines yet. I figured if you have the part numbers or tips, it saves time for the rest of us...lol.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Good job. Well edited, easy to watch and stay interested. I'm a carb guy, mostly due to ignorance, but after watching this, I think I would attempt it. Probably a fleeting moment of false hope on my part, but If (or when) I would get myself in trouble, at least I have knowledgeable people I could bother. This video gets you to a point that gets it up and running. Good explanation. I too don't understand why more people wouldn't go with this. I would be interested in the S-10 rear disc conversion. Thanks Casper.

CasperCasper likes this.
  6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    It looks simple and compact, but to me it looks like you get what you pay for. The way it fires the injectors and coils work...however its not precisely controlled like the factory ECU which is controlling each cylinder independently. I would think because of this the ECL system doesn't exist? I also assume this kit can't work for electronic throttle bodies and pedals? Relayed for ignition and fuel pump control?

Cheap and easy, but I will go for GM control despite more money.

7. CasperCasper

Aug 11, 2015
    Yup,

It does lose a few features of GM EFI but is still far superior to a carb and gets great fuel mileage.

-There is no performance disadvantage to using wasted spark.

-The batch fire injection does make you lose a bit of fuel efficiency, but 15-20mpg out of my 500+hp engine is more than enough for me! I bet a GM ecu will get you 2mpg better if you're lucky.

-This setup won't work with electronic throttle bodies and pedals, but I would never want to run a drive by wire throttle body. My $90 94mm cable driven 4 bolt unit works great!

-It does control your fuel pump and provides the trigger ground for the fuel pump relay.

This is a very simple, easy EFI system. It cuts out a lot of fancy features. It is also a standalone for $400 with free tuning software that works great! It is not for everyone, but neither is the complex, bulky and expensive GM stock ECU !

8. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I think you can argue the bulky-ness, I don’t think so much on my set-up. No more then a typical car anyways.

What’s the concern with the electronic throttle body? Nearly ALL cars on the road today use a electronic TB.

9. orkin

orkin Veteran Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Georgia
    The technical and legal requirements supposedly make the aftermarket ECU companies rather nervous about drive by wire. That and it mostly just improves you MPG, and most of the people who do this have that rather low down on the priority list.

10. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Driver by wire simplifies the set-up and improves more then MPG. I would argue it does nothing for MPG, but significantly improves idle and drive ability especially with large cams. With my cable TB my car would surge at times and even die with sudden or multiple short duration stops. The IAC couldn’t react quick enough. With the drive by wire, it can react quicker and it’s operating characteristic are impressive. I don’t have a single issue like I did with the cable TB