How to make this carport better, new Camaro needs home

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Elfmaze, Mar 5, 2018.

1. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    You need to see what all this costs to do your car port remodel. It might be cheaper and faster as a alternative to purchase or borrow a small enclosed trailer for it. Keep the bike where it was at. Store the car in the trailer. And have a alternative means to store and move your cars. If you have a truck. Even if a friend has one to use to store the car in. At least it could get the car in a shelter while you decide.

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    When I pulled the permit for my 20x20 Metal structure garage the guy at the Permit office read off the rules. It had to be concrete, Wood, Cement or Hardi Board, or Glass? I said No it it is metal. He was trying to get me to say yes to all of the above but metal. Took me a couple times to realize he was shaking his head in a yes motion while telling me no to metal. He just wanted to hear It was anything but metal. I did have a monolithic slab poured also. All of that had to be inspected before pour. Then after the job I have some one come and ask questions if I had built it. They said they could not see it from the road. As per instructions. I had to have it chopped from 14' to 11' same as my roof height on the house. I answered yes and they were about to leave and then asked can we see it? I got nervous. Technically I was supposed to cover it with cement board. I let them look. They just walked around looking at it. Totally empty. Looked huge inside. They just said hmmm nice building. Have a Nice day and they were off. One of my neighbors had a huge building wood trusses and concrete block, shingles It is bigger than his house and higher. I asked how did you get away with that? He just shrugged and said they never said anything about it. I Think it is all about them getting their little permit money. If nobody complains there is no problem.

3. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    MVIMG_20180307_092004.jpg
    We were just talking about this last night. I don't think I have enough height in the garage currently. But I wonder how hard it would be to jack up the roof and add three more layers of cinder block.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  4. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    MVIMG_20180307_092015.jpg Second pic

5. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    Oh yeah, your practically down the street! when they get the salt off the roads i'll have to swing by for a visit. My cousin also has a second gen in upper St Claire. he does autocross around here in the summer.

6. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    IMG_20180304_152742_163.jpg
    We have been kicking around the idea of trading our car trailer in on an enclosed toy hauler. ATC makes one big enough to hold a car but $$$. Otherwise just a large box might work. My NV2500 Can tow 7500 to 10k lbs

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Can you add to the rear and make the garage longer?

8. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    despite my best judgement I invited the local code officer in on the conversation. He said OK to the slab under the carport and the "decorative" siding(lattice with vines covering it, still blocks the rain and snow)... But fully enclosing it would need a permit. Not sure what his definition of fully enclosed, could I do three sides, solid walls?

9. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    Property.jpg
    negative, property line behind me.

10. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Looking forward to it. Bodymanbill is also close.