How to make this carport better, new Camaro needs home

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Elfmaze, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    Yep! GTR1400 sadly it only has about 10k miles on it after 6 years. I only drive about 6 miles to work and I divide my time between two other bikes too. my 2003 Z1000 has 140k miles on it though :) . I have to say the GTR is a nice bike, but all the computers and shitty service stations around here make my nervous as she gets older

2. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    The garage has my black car in it, profile pic. So the correct thing to do would be sell one of the two cars I guess. but thats going to take time to find the right buyer

3. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    From what I can tell the carport has been there for over a decade... But besides the 4x4 posts there are no additional structural members in the roof Just the metal corrugated structure. Might be worth looking at adding a few beams

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    OK. I'm real close. Elizabeth. You've probably been by my shop on the river road by Giant Eagle, 1/2 mile toward Glassport. Can't say I blame you, just thought maybe you knew someone to call and ask. I wouldn't invite one to dinner or to have a beer, but I know people here on council, the planning commission, and zoning board I can ask. Would be good to have somewhere nice to keep that beautiful car. Preferably on your own property. I like to be close to the ones I love. lol

5. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

You need to FLUID FILM all/any Bare Metal including nuts and bolts.....
    and 303 Protectant on ALL the Rubber....including the Tires

Way too nice of car to leave exposed to Pittsburg weather and TEMPS

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

My first ZG1000 had 6000 when I got it and 110,000 when I sold it 9 years later. I used to put 800-900 miles a day at times. The GTR1000 was the export version for those years. I've never sat on a C-14. The C-10 was more comfortable than it looked. Otherwise, why would it have been built mostly unchanged for over 20 years.

7. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    OK so heard back from the unofficial code guy... Whole bunch of "it depends" I'm pushing the 35% of my property as a "footer" as is. so a new pad may not pass. BUT I could say it was a pre-existing structure and i'm fixing the crumbling floor... reference sides he liked the lattice more than solid walls from a code perspective... Its not walls... Its "decorative" some vines on the lattice would stop most rain from the sides... it seems I'm walking a line between proper storage of the car and how accessible I want it to be to drive it. but damaging the car is not an option.

8. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    that "fluid film" stuff work good? i watched a video on it and really like the yearly bulk application idea with a spray gun... Hell i'll hit the work van and subaru too and buy a 5 gallon bucket if it works well.

9. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    As others said make sure you look into all the building codes related. I wouldn't try to slip one by them. All it takes is a neighbor to make a phone call and the next thing you know code enforcement is all over you. God luck with your project.

10. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Got room for a 4 post lift in the garage? Store the Camaro on top. They are fairly low. Then driver car below.

budro6968 likes this.