How to make this carport better, new Camaro needs home

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Elfmaze, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    MVIMG_20180305_172907.jpg Hey guys I adopted Mountaineer's Camaro this weekend. So excited about that. Problem is that leaves me with two cars and only one garage for the time being. There is a really nice can storage facility 15 mins away. But if I can make this carport work it's worth a shot.

My idea was to put lattice on the sides and back with heavy plastic sheet to block wind and rain. Might need to pull the bricks up and put a liner down under the car too... Any recommendations to make this acceptable? Or will I always have dew/ moisture issues?

The carport is easier to get into than the garage, so I would prefer to keep the running car in that spot.... But not at the expense of improper storage.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    MVIMG_20180305_172924.jpg Second pic

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  3. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
    Dirt floor is not a good thing

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Are you in the city? Just wondering how strict the zoning laws are where you are (City, township, Borough). I would inquire about closing it in. That's too nice a car to leave it out around here. And like Scott^^^ said, dirt not good. Even if you mixed concrete by the bag and poured a little at a time, that'd be the ticket.

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Like already mentioned, look into your zoning laws and local building codes first to determine what is allowed. Around here, plastic sheeting isn't worth the time it takes to put it up. Between the cold temperatures and wind, it shreds really fast and becomes useless. If zoning allows, and if the supports can handle the weight, I would put a solid material like plywood around it and then some kind of weather proof siding over that. I don't know if those supports are enough to handle the weight and wind load. Lood into your building codes for an answer to that.

6. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    roger that, so probably best to check her into the car hotel until I can get the pad poured... from there I'll look into the solid sides. open air front and back for ventilation, or would it be better closed on all fours?

and a vapor barrier and finishing the brick throughout is not as good as a poured pad correct?

poor motorcycle got kicked out of her carport too... Ugh

7. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    It would not be as good as concrete, but better than what you have now. I'd check building codes first before I did anything. Check and see if pouring a pad or closing it in would turn it into a permanent structure. Where in the Burgh are you? Are you on a main drag? Do you have nosey neighbors? lol

8. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

What bike is that? Is it a Concours? I've had three Connies over the years. One got over 100+K on it while I had it.

9. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Would it be easier to clean out that nice garage? Or put the stuff in it in a storage unit? That carport does not look safe for heavy snow load. If you can wall it in, I'd add more stringers under that roof along with more uprights.

10. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    West Mifflin kind of by Kennywood. From what I've seen the inspectors are pretty strict on fire safety. But I'm not looking forward to inviting a code enforcement officer to my property. never know how that one will turn out