How to keep bugs out of fresh paint?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by hig, Sep 3, 2010.

1. hig

hig Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Central NY
    Like the title says - Does anyone have any tips on how to keep bugs out of paint. I sprayed a hood last night (3 coats of S.S.) and on my last coat I got 1 bug and 1 hair, later after it flashed I checked it and there were 2 or 3 more bugs trapped in the paint. Is there anything I can do? I'm painting in a garage that the doors are closed most of the time. Would a bug zapper help? Is there a better time of the day to spray? If you get something big in the paint is it better to leave it or pick it out?

This is a side question - if you purchase a car that does not have the factory color on it and you're not sure what code it was painted with can a paint supply store match it (like a hardware store would do) or would you have to go thru sample chips and hope you get lucky?

Thanks
    Steve

2. Hotshot

Hotshot Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Queen Creek, AZ
    You're shooting at night? Try shooting during daylight hours when the bugs are less active. The bug zapper idea is also pretty good, but I think your biggest problem is shooting at night. All you can really do is pick out the bug or hair, lightly sand it down, and shoot it again. Just my two cents.

I think NastyZ28 has the paint codes for specific years on the home page. Try clicking your year and scrolling down.

3. BP80Z28

BP80Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Plymouth Mass
    Wookies video he suggests keeping a pair of tweezers in your pocket.pluck the bug out.It will blend in.:bowtie:

4. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    I believe he also suggests shooting in the morning when bugs are less active.

5. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Keep alot of frogs around!! Does anyone know how to keep frog poop out of fresh paint?

6. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Put cardboard and tape over any windows where the light will shine out and attract them.

7. dwright406

dwright406 Veteran Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Lake Jackson Tx
    I like shooting in the morning.
    Wet the floor down good, and have a pair of tweezers handy.

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Paint it when there's frost on the lawn in a heated garage.

9. hig

hig Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Central NY
    Thanks for all the replies, next time I will spray in the A.M. and have the tweezers handy.

What I meant by this question is what if the car has a color on it that did not come on that year - lets say someone sprayed it "viper yellow" but you did not know that, could you have the color matched to do a spot repair?

10. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Montana
    yes any reputable shop should be able to match any color the shop that has a new mixing system if they are using paper catalogues no but the computer can scan it and get it almost perfect but it will have a diffrent shine if it was a diffrent brand of paint