how to get fuel tank cleaned of old fuel residue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by marks LT, Nov 23, 2002.

1. marks LT

marks LT Veteran Member

Oct 8, 2002
    corinth,tx. u.s.a.
    I bought a 77 that had been sitting in someones garage for 6 years.when i purchased it it sterted right up and had a 1/2 a tank of gas im sure it was 6 years old also.i drained the tank and filled it up ran out about 1/2 of it and started working on restoration sat about 6 months and had heavy laquer smell used stabul and also used b-12 additive. my problem is that i keep fouling my plugs with this gas or so that is what i think is happening.how can i clean this up once and for all?

2. 80Camaroman

80Camaroman Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    If its been sitting that long, it sounds like you may have entrapped water in the fuel tank and this is whats fouling out your plugs. Bad gas will do this too! The only thing you can do is fill it up with fresh gas and run the car regularly. Additives can only do so much, but don't work well if the car just sits around not running for a period of time. If you are planning to remove the fuel tank to clean it out, I would use stoddard solvent to clean the inside of the tank. Just be sure to drain out the solvent afterwards and let the tank dry out throughly before adding gasoline again. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

Jim
    '80 Berlinetta