How to clean off Loctite?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Protour-Camaro, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Feb 16, 2012
    California
    How do you get old loctite off of bolts and threaded holes? I don't want to grind them, just use some type of solvent.

2. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    brake cleaner

I use a light touch on wire wheel for bolts and B/C for holes. Run a bolt in and out a few times and compressed air.

3. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Niceville, Florida
    I use a thread chaser. I got a set from Sears awhile back and find them to be very useful. They are like taps and dies, but less aggressive so they won't wear out the threads or cut new ones.

I would think that Loctite would be resistant to solvents, by design.

4. fbody_mike

fbody_mike Veteran Member

Straight from the Loctite website. I am not sure what methylene chloride is in, maybe brake cleaner or carb cleaner, but apparently it is what they recommend.

Preparation

Protect work area. Parts to be sealed must be clean and dry. Shake the product thoroughly before use.
    Note: To prevent the product from clogging in the nozzle, avoid touching the bottle tip to the metal surface.

Application

For Thru Holes:
    Apply several drops of the product onto the bolt at the nut engagement area.

For Blind Holes:
    Apply several drops of the product down the internal threads to the bottom of the hole.

For Sealing Applications:
    Apply a 360° bead of product to the leading threads of the male fitting, leaving the first thread free. Force the material into the threads to thoroughly fill the voids. For bigger threads and voids, adjust product amount accordingly and apply a 360° bead of product on the female threads also.

Assemble parts and tighten as required. Sets in approximately 10 minutes and fully cures in 24 hours.

Cleanup

Clean adhesive residue immediately with a damp cloth. Cured product can be removed with a combination of soaking in methylene chloride and mechanical abrasion such as a wire brush.

For disassembly, shear with standard hand tools and remove with methylene chloride. In rare instances where hand tools do not work because of excessive engagement length, apply localized heat to nut or bolt to approximately 482°F (250°C). Disassemble while hot.