How much water does a 350 block hold

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by COPO, Apr 16, 2006.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Does, anyone know how much water a 350 block holds? When I change my coolant this year I want to remove as much water as I can without opening the block drain cocks since I want to use distilled water and antifreeze. (50/50)

If I open the lower rad hose and lift the rear, will I get most of it out? I don't want to try the drain cocks since they may be hard to undo.

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    If you have a "quick lube" facility near by then you can take 3 gallons of distilled water there with you. MOST of these places have a coolant system flush machine. The one I use in my shop will remove 99% of everything in the cooling system. You can pour whatever type of fluid you want to use in the machine to fill the system back. The machines like I use are good because it eliminates the possibility of an air pocket in the system. It couldn't cost more than $20 since you're using your own fluid. I'd do it for less than $20 if you lived close by. :)

3. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    Most completely dry SBC chevy cooling systems hold just over 3 gallons, radiator size plays a big role in the overall coolant capacity though. Unless you can jack the car up 90* you wont get all the coolant out because the water pump passges are located near the top of the deck.

4. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice. We'll how about this one. I have a flushing tee on the one heater hose that goes to the intake which I've always used to back flush my rad. What if I keep the cap off the T and pour my 50/50 mix in the rad. Will it push the water out of the block? To start with, I could flush it with the garden hose on the T until I get plain water in the block then with the T open, pour the 50/50 mix in the rad, and once I see green, then I can put the cap back on the T. Will that work?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  5. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
  6. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2004
    CFB Petawawa, Ontario
    I dont know that you could do it with a garden hose. Most of the systems used for coolant flushes are pressurized. Presumably it takes some effort to push all the crap out of the block.

I know locally here they do it with fresh 50/50 for about 60 bucks. takes about 5 minutes.

7. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I mean once I fill the block with water only and leave the T cap off, what if I add my 50/50 mix to the rad. Will it push the water out of the T fitting? Then when I see green, I'll put the cap on?

Anyone know how many times I'd need to fill the rad with distilled water, then drain the rad before the whole block has distilled water in it? I have a 4 core rad.

I think I may try and remove the block drain plugs.

8. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    4-5 times and you have to run the engine to warm up each time. I've done this to get antifreeze out. pita!
    Much better idea. Good luck.

9. harrism107

harrism107 Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Beech Grove, IN
    I dont know no one has thought about this, but if you take the belt and hoses of your waterpump and find a way to contect a drill to it, you can run the water pump with the drill and it will pump all the water out of the block. then you can drain your radiator and connect everything back up and will be able to add your mix.

10. COPO

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Tell me your shit'n me. Never heard that 1 before.