How long do I let RTV cure before adding fluid?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72CamaroSS, Jan 16, 2010.

1. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

At least Ford uses reusable rubber gaskets for the trans pans.

I just saw a new RTV that's 'transmission fluid safe'....and another one that's 'rear end lube safe'....guess its "new" products for the uneducated out there - or is it the real deal ???

YOU decide ;)

BTW - 2 hrs and you should be set...as is the rtv ;)

2. JOHNNYMO

JOHNNYMO Veteran Member

3. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    My 96 chevy 14 bolt has no gasket.I spent days looking for one until I found out it no getty one.:confused:Edit:I'll add its a K2500 P/U

4. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    I wait an hour or so, the heat from the trans will help cure it quickly, yet to have anything leak

5. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    which tranny do you have??? I have changed the trans fluid on 2 durangos and multiple grand cherokee's. (they share the same tranny)

All mopars I have changed either came factory with a reusable gasket, or the filter came with a cork.

6. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    also, make sure you use ATF+4 on the tranny fluid. There were TSB's sent out a number of years ago that replaced the ATF+3 probably seen in your owner manual or Haynes with ATF+4.

Also, if you have the 5.2L or 5.9L you should also adjust the bands. If you have the 4.7L, the tranny on that engine has no bands.

7. 72CamaroSS

72CamaroSS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I don't know which tranny. It's a 2001 with a 4.7L. Parts store (at least AutoZone) didn't list a gasket at all.

I put fluid in it around 4 this afternoon. Didn't have to be anywhere, so I just waited. Used Valvoline ATF+4 full synthetic and some Lucas transmission treatment. Runs smoother then it ever has.

I'm just happy it isn't leaving an oil slick on the driveway anymore, haha. Thanks all.