How I remove anodizing from trim

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Scatter, Feb 8, 2011.

1. DevelsDaughter

DevelsDaughter Veteran Member

May 11, 2011
    nj
    Zinc Chromite is good for primer on aluminum.Typicaly yellowish in color.

2. motor60

motor60 Member

Feb 27, 2011
    So. Cal
    Has anyone ever tried the lil packets of hot sauce like from Del Taco? Get a pack of Del Scorcho and rub it on something like a penny. The acid in the hot sauce makes the metal shine like new. Soooo...someone let us know how it works on the trim pieces AND how many packets of hot sauce you used lol....thats alot of trips to del taco!

3. motor60

motor60 Member

Feb 27, 2011
    So. Cal
    Oh and I think Coke (coca-cola) works the same way. Fill a cup with coke and drop a penny in, see what it does.

4. I wonder if this works on the my Saab's oxidized headlights....

5. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    St.Augustine,Florida
    So,Its been a while since the last post on this. Just wondering how the different final finishes have held up?

6. Martin71RS

Martin71RS Veteran Member

I just need to polish is a bit once every so often.....just a cloth with polish and it is nice again.

did my headlight bezels for my nova too:

after sanding
    [​IMG]

after polishing
    [​IMG]

7. Dang, where did you get that stuff in europe / germany / netherlands?

8. Martin71RS

I bought my Camaro 14 years ago, it was imported from LA. Parts I usually just buy online....
    The Nova I bought 3 years ago (basket case) with original Ducth registration (1962!!) and also here I need to import loads of parts.

The complete builds are on my page www.pro-touring.nl

Martin

9. sorry I meant where did you get the "grease lightning" what this thread is about.

10. Martin71RS

ah, okay... I misunderstood.... reading all back in the post I saw I already posted my Nova parts too...(oops) but I sanded my parts and did not use anything like oven cleaner or greased lightning.

I have a grille I need to do now but sanding is nearly impossible so i need to find out what to use for chemical stripping too.

I understand caustic soda works and also phosforic acid. I want to do a test and see what works. (not tried it yet!)

Martin