How I remove anodizing from trim

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Scatter, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Scatter

Scatter Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Millbrook, Al
    I have been dreading trying to sand my trim to get all the old crusty anodizing off so I can polish it up. I did a billion searches looking for something to help me out and one of my searches led me to use this stuff called Greased Lightning. I picked some up at Home Depot for around 7 bucks.
    For a trial run, I stuck a piece of trim In the gallon jug of this cleaner

[​IMG]

I left it in there for about an hour agitating it every now and then I rinsed it off with plain ole water and viola, the anodizing is gone!!

[​IMG]

It left the aluminum hazy, so I took some Meguirs motorcycle all metal polish and rubbed it down

[​IMG]

I'm going to try it on my front bumper some how. I'll let ya know how it goes!!

I think it turned out pretty dang good!!! Now its ready for a sealer, paint or powder coating!!

Just for fun, I used Duplicolors Shadow Chrome Blackout paint for that Black Chrome look. Once again, I did my test piece.

3 coats of black and 3 clear. The pictures don't really show it, but I think it turned out nice in person. I may end up doing all my trim in this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  2. 2nd gen man

2nd gen man Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2010
    michigan
    looks awesome after using the cleaner.
    never heard of this cleaner before.
    will try this for sure.

3. wardracing

wardracing Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    columbus,ohio
    really cool i will pick some up tomorrow. what is the best way to dip your bumpers in there. did you use a big tub or...? i hope i dont need to buy 10 gallons to dip the bumper in it. and did you use the motorcycle polish before you painted?

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've been told that Castrol Super Clean will do something similar as well.

Greased Lightning is a brand I have also seen at Lowes

5. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Looks good. I'd like to see more pics of the trim when you get through.

6. ronald66

ronald66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Italy,Rome,Nettuno
    i buffed mine out with some paste a buddy gave me and polished them aslo with another color of paste,they came out good as new..
    the only thing is i didn't spray no kind of protection on them , is that ok???

7. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2009
    pottsville,pa.
    i have a jug of that in the garage i think ill have to do that to mine, looks great, thanx for the heads up

8. 77RS

77RS Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheboro, NC
    Great tip Ryan! I've been using Greased Lightning forever. It's a great degreaser, but I had no idea that it would remove anodized coating. What a hoot! That's awesome!

Piedmont Products in Pelzer, SC sells an anodized coating remover. I was going to go that route, but I'm gonna try the GL first. I always keep plenty of that at the shop.

PS: just an afterthought...

If you're going to paint the trim, you may be better off not stripping the anodized coating. Paint doesn't adhere well to aluminum. It will look ok for awhile, but willl eventually flake off. I assume that's why an anodized coating was used instead of clear coat at the factory. What type of coating or primer was used on the '77 Z28 bumpers? The anodized coating can be scuffed and painted.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  9. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 18, 2003
    On Wisconsin!
    That's looks awesome... Can't wait to see how the bumper turns out:happy:

10. hessdawg

hessdawg Veteran Member

Feb 11, 2004
    marina , ca ,usa
    i hear that oven cleaner works well for removing anadizing