How do I really tell if my Camaro is a Z28?

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by j4bigtyme, Jun 3, 2013.

1. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    i don't believe so . the rally sport option was strictly an appearance option and was on the exterior only .... from this site ....1970 Z22 Rally Sport - Includes special black painted grille with special rubber tipped vertical center bar and resilient body color grille frame; Independent LH and RH front bumpers replacing full width bumper; license plate bracket mounted below RH bumper; parking lights with bright accents mounted on grille panel; Hide-a-Way windshield wipers with black-chrome finished arms and articulated left hand blade; bright window, hood panel and body sill moldings; body colored insert on door handles; RS emblem on steering wheel; Rally Sport front fender nameplates; bright accented taillights and back-up lights. (RS emblems deleted with SS or Z28 option).... it changed little from year to year ..

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  2. Fme

Fme Member

Apr 23, 2013
    USA
    I wouldn't say with 100% certainty on 70 up, however in 68-69 the rally sport package definitely included the gages, hence rally gages. Z28 didn't include gages and I cannot say if with Z28 and RS if the tach was different as far as redline. How many stripped (no options) Z28's have you seen? Definitely more than fully loaded ones for sure! Matter of fact, if you ordered Z28 with RS in 68 or 69, the badges were RS and no Z28 indication anywhere.

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    what did they call them in a buick ? its a whole different world over here guy .. welcome . in 70 the Z28 option did include the U 14 gauge package ( clock not included ) . it was a forced option that showed up on the sticker as a extra price option but it was a forced option. the U14 gauges could be ordered on any V8 motor in 1970 . also in 71 . 72 the gauge package was optional on Z28 and in 73 also .. in the 70s the RS was a appearance package . i don't know enough about the earlier years

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  4. Fme

Fme Member

Apr 23, 2013
    USA
    Who cares? Lol Buick is the Ford of GM. Just kidding!

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    they all ran down the same line ...

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Look under the driver seat for build sheet My 1979 Z-28 RS was built at the Van Nyes (Los Angeles ,CA) And I found three in my car. Besides the drivers seat ,behind the rear back seat cushion,and above the gas tank. They just stuck them where ever they felt like. And my Z was loaded with options. All the customer had to do was check the right box,and pay the money.Or have the dealer install it.what ever it took to make the sale.

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    the workers didn't really stick them places . the seats , dash , lower chassis ( gas tank , rear , trans , and motor sub frame ) were all assembled off the line or "sub assemblies " . the seats were assembled in the cushion room and and put on hooks in coordination with the running of the line . the guy on the line had to make sure the seat matched the car ( the build sheet ) . the dash was also a subassembly and was on a timed line in coordination with the main line as was chassis . thats why they were there . when the sub assemblies made it to the main line they had to be identifiable some how . some were removed on the main line , some not .

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  8. White81Z

White81Z Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2004
    NY
    Not sure where you got your information from but its not true about the 68-69 RS included gauges. In 68 gauges were not required on any model and in 69 the later Z's (after May) only required a tach. Gauges were an available option on any model except 6 cylinder cars but were not required.

Not true about the badging either.

Rally gauges were an option on Pontiac Firebirds and the term rally gauges was not used on Camaros.

Rick H.

9. Fme

Fme Member

Apr 23, 2013
    USA
    Gauges were an available option, yes. But when you ordered the RS package, you got the chrome molding above the doors, hideaway headlights, the tail lights with the backup lights in the valance, the gauges, console and a couple other trinkets.

10. White81Z

White81Z Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2004
    NY

You are partially correct. Gauges and console is not correct and is not part of the RS option.

Rick H.