How do i know if i have a true 1970 camaro z28

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by camaromike323, Sep 20, 2012.

1. camaromike323

camaromike323 New Member

Sep 19, 2012
    montebello ca
    im confused on if my camaro is a true z28 or not, i heard that the cowl tag on the 1970s didnt say z28 on it but on the later models like the 71 and 72 it says z28, so i wanna know if its suppose to say z28 or not on my 1970, mine does have a 12 inch posi, rear sway bar, it has a lt1 engine with original carb 750 carb and manifold, and id like to know if there are any other ways to tell if its a true z28. hope you guys can help

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    If the car was built in Norwood, it will say either Z28 or just 28. If the car was built at Van Nuys, it will not have any identification of the Z28 option on the cowl tag.
    Check the engine and tranny for partial VIN stampings. If they match the VIN of your car, it is a Z28. If these components have the VIN of a different car, it isn't original.

3. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Hi Mike and welcome to the site. Some of the info you received is correct...some not so. The 70 camaro, (and all models and trim groups including the Z28) were produced simultaneously in Norwood, Ohio and Van Nuys, CA. Your trim tag and VIN will indicate where your car was produced (N = Norwood, L = Van Nuys). Van Nuys built Z-28s did not include an identifier on the trim tag to denote the Z28 option, whereas Norwood cars did, (either 28.XX or Z28.XX).

Assuming yours is a Van Nuys built car, It is common for Van Nuys-built cars to include copies of the production "build sheet" tucked under seat cushions, rear seat back or on top of the gas tank....the build sheet is the definitive proof what options were originally included with your car from the factory. Unfortunately, after 42 years, many have disappeared, been removed or disintegrated beyond legibility, but it's worth the effort to look.

Have you been able to verify the engine is the original (born-with) LT-1?...should have a partial VIN that matches your car stamped on the engine block pad behind the alternator. Same for the trans. The rear was not stamped wiht a partial VIN, but you can decode the stamps on the pass axle tube to determine if the code is correct for a Z28 and if the production date is in line withe the build date for your car. The common items include 12-bolt rear, rear sway bar with weld-on upper link brackets, aluminum spacers under the lower-control arm snubbers, 8k tach, rear bumper-ettes and floor mounted gas pedal. Photos would help.

4. camaromike323

camaromike323 New Member

Sep 19, 2012
    montebello ca
    hey thanks for all the information about the car really helped ill be identifying everything i could on the car and try to find the build sheet

5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    What documentation came with the car?

Oh, and welcome!

6. camaromike323

camaromike323 New Member

Sep 19, 2012
    montebello ca
    well the car was at a body shop the car had only one owner, it was sitting at the shop for about 3 years, the owner of the body shop said that the original owner bought it back when he was in high school, i havnt still check the block numbers to match it up with the vin but the car came with no ac it has a original holley 750 carb with the original manifold and original valve covers so im pretty sure its a 4 bolt lt-1 plus the car came with nos and my guess is that i wouldnt think a 2 bolt engine would handle the nos but next week im going to work on it and try to look for the build sheet and check if it came with the rear sway bar i know it has a 12 bolt rear end, and the car is stick did z28 come with manual?

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Z28 could be ordered with either manual or automatic tranny in 1970.

8. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Stock Holley carb was 780 CFM.

Block number by alternator would help.

Pics, of course.

9. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Your situation is somewhat better than mine.

Mine is an LA car so no trim tag stamping to verify Z/28. It does have the F-41 rear sway bar brackets. It does have the Z/28 only aluminum blocks under the bump stops on lower control arms. It does have the Z/28 floor mounted gas pedal and throttle cable. Front fenders are sporting what appears to be OE paint and are drilled for Z/28 emblems. It has a short spoiler installed with LA style nuts (so not likely a later add on). It is striped. It does not have AC. It has a block that is an "010" dated to match the car but the pad has been decked so no build date or engine suffix. I believe the car to be a Z because all the more uncommon parts are there plus this history.

1st owner unknown

2nd owner bought the car in the late 70s (need to look at my notes from when I spoke to him for exact year) and kept it for over 20 years. He had the build sheet which showed the Z/28 option. When he sold the car the build sheet went with it.

3rd owner "was going hot rod it and drive it hard for a while and then restore it" . I think he bought it on spec. He shed little light on the car. Claimed no knowledge of the build sheet.

4th owner stripped the entire interior, rear sway bar, OE transmission and 12 bolt to build a cloned '70 BBC car.:mad: ( which he sold). He had it for about a year and a half. Claimed no build sheet came with it. I offered to buy and build a '70 Fbody 12 bolt to what ever spec his "customer" wanted in return for the OE unit for my car. He refused to even make my offer to the owner of the clone.

I'm the fifth owner.

So either owner four or five lied about the build sheet. Both were hustlers if you know what I mean.

I can't prove that the car is a Z but a lot of evidence points that way and I'm comfortable calling it that and building it as such.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012