How do I do this?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by boisabigdog, Nov 4, 2017.

1. boisabigdog

boisabigdog Veteran Member

Jul 6, 2009
    san diego
    Hi. I am reattaching 1973 Type LT trim and vinyl roof trim to my car that has had the pieces removed. I assume there were some type of nubs on the sheet metal and clips were used to attach the trim pieces to the nubs. I need to put the nubs back on the car and find the correct clips. Does anyone have pictures of the nubs, locations, clips available, etc? Maybe an alternative type of attachment? Thanks for the help!

2. boisabigdog

Jul 6, 2009
    san diego
    Looks like the vinyl top trim installs with screws and clips. Found the clips and screws, easy enough.
    If I remember right the type '73 Type LT trim had nubs on the sheet metal. This is the 6 pieces of trim that run near the bottom of the fender, door and quarter panel. Any help appreciated. Thanks

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    You can get one of those stud welders for dent pulling. They have kits that have the little nubs your talking about. Otherwise they can be the screw in type.

4. boisabigdog

Jul 6, 2009
    san diego
    Good idea, i have access to one of those welder/pullers. All I am familiar with is the piece that welds on so you can attach the puller. Will see if I can find the correct size nubs that will work with the welder. Have located everything else I need.
    Thanks

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    Google Nelson stud . At the factory where would have been a jig with holes in it to fit the Nelson gun in that clamped to the panel . The jig would have been on a spring balancer from the ceiling On cables

6. boisabigdog

Jul 6, 2009
    san diego
    Looked them up. Just need to figure out the correct size. Jig would be nice, will likely be difficult getting them to line up correctly. May try using a screw instead, ill play around with in once I get the clips. Thanks.

7. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    Run tape over panels for the stanless ,when right draw around them,with the stanless for a guide Just use the clips that hold the stanless on to line up for to drill holes for the screws,start with the doors i thank, maybe ,i thank those clips hang over the edge of the top of door a little,maybe