How did I screw this up?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by zekefreak, May 27, 2010.

1. zekefreak

zekefreak Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 16, 2006
    western PA
    The column shaft is splined at the intermediate shaft and has a flat spot on it where the bolt goes thru the "clamp". The I/S only goes on one way.

Edit: Yes, just like your pic shows.

2. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    Is your column a tilt? I can not tell from the photo.

3. zekefreak

Apr 16, 2006
    western PA
  4. Philip

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    Damn zeke I am running out of ideas. You want to bring it by tomorrow so I can have a look :D

5. zekefreak

Apr 16, 2006
    western PA
    I wish I could! Now you know why I'm going crazy! LOL! You plan on coming to the Pittsburgh area soon? LOL!

6. Philip

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    I might to get away from these 100 degree temps :D
    I'll keep thinking on this and let you know if I can come up with anything else. It has to be something simple we are just not seeing.

7. zekefreak

Apr 16, 2006
    western PA
    Here's a thought: could the lower flange on the I/S be wrong? I've seen some that have 4 bolt/pin areas and mine has 2. Could the lower flange be on wrong? Where can I get a new I/S?

8. Philip

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    The baffling part is the flat on the input shaft and the index mark at the top end of the shaft being 90 degrees off.

The gear appears to be centered from the turns in either direction, the steering shaft is all one piece and the lock plate will only fit in one place. If the I/S had been disassembled and put together wrong it would be 180 out.
    Let me go look at the intermediate shaft I have. BRB

9. Philip

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    You are not going to believe what I just found in the garage. Sometimes it pays to never throw anything away.

Need to down load photos, give me a minute.

10. Philip

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    This what your shaft should look like. Notice the positions of the bolts at either end, the X is on the coupler bolt that goes through the big hole.

[​IMG]

When looking through the pile of shafts to see if there were any that were different I found this and it would put the steering wheel 90 degrees off. I have no idea where it came from or if it was modified, it looks to be in original condition. It is a later design as the boot on the trunnion joint is not replaceable.

[​IMG]