Hot tanking parts

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by arick793, Apr 13, 2017.

1. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I suggest using a wire wheel on a grinder or drill or whatever to remove all of your engines rust and paint BEFORE taking it to a machine shop to be hot tanked. The tank will remove all old oil and grease etc, but it won't really touch the rust and paint. I just got my block back, and for the money I spent there, I would have liked it to look a little bit nicer.

2. jacobaxeman

jacobaxeman New Member

May 30, 2018
    I took my block to be boiled like 3
    Months ago thinking it would come back pretty damn clean like they used to. Was pretty disappointed in how dirty it still was.

3. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Apr 26, 2018
    You can hot tank the parts and if the acid content is high enough and the temp is hot enough it bill bake all the paint and crud right off.
    Get it to 600 degrees and the studs will pull from the heads so I was told.
    I did not know they would get that hot.

I just went 1.5 hours on a pair of very carboned up 305 heads .. temp was not very hot as I could hold my heads and flip them to hose them down.
    The paint was softened and turned my hands Chevrolet orange , This vat is mostly used for camshafts ..acid level does not need to be really high.

It does suck though when you expect clean and you do not get clean.
    Some shops have bead tumblers for engine blocks and heads that make them very clean.
    Bead tumbler may not be the correct term.