Hope everyone came out OK

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by gutted72, Mar 25, 2015.

1. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Oklahoma City

Had my dually hooked to rv ready for a camping trip this weekend. I drove wifes truck to Chickasha and was there when the storm rolled in. I hauled butt to the house only to pull into the driveway as it hit. No time to get to the shop. :(

2. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Finally back home!!!
    Ouch David that sucks. They made us go into the storm shelters at work. I was mildy amused knowing that the rotation was well south and headed away. It didn't have the classic supercell structure and had more in common with a squall line spinup.

The Sand Springs one, on the other hand, was definitely a classic supercell. It's been a while, but there have definitely been tornadoes in that area northwest of Tulsa before. I remember one passing nearby when we were at Keystone on a camping trip as a child.

Call me crazy, but if I hadn't been sick as a dog Tuesday, I would have chased yesterday. Probably would have targeted Perkins or Cushing, so I probably wouldn't have had a good angle on that storm. This'll be my 10 year of chasing

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  3. 1BAD78

1BAD78 Veteran Member Gold Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Broken Arrow Ok
    I'm a tornado nut to. lol
    I thought about going and chasing it, since I work at 21st and Utica, but I didn't want my 45k truck to get any hail damage. Should have drove the wifes car :crazy:

4. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2002
    Jennings, OK
    Probably a good thing everybody couldn't chase the Tulsa storm. That thing was all over the place and had some serious hail to go with it. Best part was that it followed the river for most of it's time, could have been a lot worse.

Bunch of people with broken and dented stuff.

Brit, don't worry about it. I'll find one online. Thanks.

5. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Finally back home!!!
    I probably would have set up on 51 south of the lake looking at the radar. Would have given me a decent view of the storm, albeit from higher ground. As long as I can see it, I'm not one of those guys who try to get as close as they can. You get better pics and video from a distance anyway. Especially if you're looking to get structure in the picture as well.

6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Dam. Never see anything like that here in CT...(hope I never do either)

7. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    I heard them interview a survivor out of Sand Springs who was picked up bodily and carried down the street until a large piece of debris hit him and knocked him back to the ground. Reminds me of the scene from Twister with the flying cow... I've seen a couple of them pretty up close and personal and I have no desire to get any closer... I'm good with watching them on TV.