Hood hinges

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Scaleytail, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Scaleytail

Scaleytail New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    North Aurora, il
    Passenger side front hood stick up and shakes/vibrates while driving. It's not the bumper stops (I am assuming) causeI can push down the 1/4 inch it sticks up. Is this a case of bad hinges? Or is there something else I can tinker with?
    Thanks

2. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    St.Augustine,Florida
    I would check the right core support bushing. Just a thought

3. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    First check to be sure the hinge isn't binding as it is closing. Sometimes lubricating the pivot points fixes the issue you describe, but be careful..too much lube and the hood won't stay open. If the hinges are not binding, try a hinge adjustment:

If the rear of the hood is at the correct level, but the front is too high, loosen the front (forward) hinge bolt at the fender well and loosen the rear hinge bolt just enough so the front of the hinge can pivot down a bit. Make small adjustments and retighten, then close hood to test if the change made a difference.

If the rear is low and the front is high, do the same as above but drop it a bit more in the front. Lowering the front of the hinge raises the back of the hood and lowers the front of the hood. You wouldn't think it would work that way, but the hinge is a pivot point so it works the reverse of what you would think.

If the rear is high and the front is high, then loosen both hinge bolts at the fender and lower the hinge mount the same amount at both bolts, retighten and recheck.

4. Scaleytail

Scaleytail New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    North Aurora, il

5. Scaleytail

Scaleytail New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    North Aurora, il
    Thank you for both responses, did a combination of both replies and the front end is now a lot more stabile. Took awhile to get the stops to play nice as I don't think they have ever been adjusted. Love this site!

6. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Cool...glad you got it to a better position. Sometimes i takes a bunch of tries to finally get it where you like it.