Hood hinge spring replacement

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by dailycruiser81, Apr 24, 2017.

1. dailycruiser81

dailycruiser81 Veteran Member

May 19, 2013
    ft lauderdale
    Does anyone have any tricks or tips on replacing hood springs?

2. 81BirdMan

81BirdMan Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Wedge the (wood) halves of some disassembled wooden clothespins in between the coils while the spring is extended (hood open but lowered as much as possible). Then raise the hood and the spring should be easy to unhook. Any thin scraps of wood (like pieces of paint sticks) will work, too.

As for installing the new ones, hook one end to something sturdy (beam, tree, truck hitch, etc) and use a come-along (or maybe a ratchet strap) to stretch the spring. Place the wooden spacers in between the coils until the spring is long enough to easily hook onto the hinge. Don't catch your fingers between the coils!

3. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    quick grip type bar clamp...like the woodworking kind

ratchets them on & off

4. 12BoltPosi

12BoltPosi New Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Vallejo, Ca
    image.jpeg If you have an engine hoist and chains then it'll be a breeze. Hook the spring ends to chains and fasten the chains to the hoist arm and the base of the hoist and slowly raise the hoist just enough to remove the hood hinge. It's safe and easy

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I just use the largest Craftsman flat tip screw driver I have and just pop them on and off..With or without the hood on. Its easy. There is no use in over engineering stuff when doing anything.I prescribe to th K.I.S.S theory.Kiss it simple stupid.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Somebody posted here a while back that it can be done easily using a double ended open end wrench. He simply found the right length wrench that fit into the ends of the spring when it was stretched. Then, simply release it by moving the hood. The wrench holds the spring so it can't shorten.