Hood Flap works but doesn't open

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by wdstamper, Oct 23, 2017.

1. wdstamper

wdstamper Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    I'm wondering if anyone has run into this before. I have a 1981 z28 and the hood flap does not open with the gas pedal wide open. However, I can reach under the dash and pull the flap lever with my and it opens fine. It appears the gas pedal rod when push to floor just barely engages the lever. I'm wondering if some has installed a after market gas pedal but I really can't tell. I thought about just bending the gas pedal rod farther down to make sure it engages the lever.

I have attached a pic below. Sorry couldn't flip the pic up so the gas peddle rod was vertical. The first red arrow is the flap lever and the second red arrow is the gas pedal rod. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Walt

Gas pedal flap pic 2.jpg

2. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    IIRC I wrapped some electrical tape around mine, then a piece of heat shrink tube to thicken the switch point. Allowed it to open sooner.

3. wdstamper

wdstamper Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    I thought about doing something like that with vaccum hose. I’m thinking bending the gas pedal rod might be a better solution but then my linkage to carb will be off. Thanks

Walt

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    A piece of vacuum tubing around it should work well.

5. wdstamper

wdstamper Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    Tried the vaccum hose still way off. By chance, does anyone out there have a pic of a 1980-81 z28 with a working hood flap that would share a pic of the gas pedal rod and hood flap plunger set up? I’m about an 1” 1/2 off from the plunger for the flap to work properly. Any help would be appreciated. Thx

Walt

6. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Vacuum tubing would do the trick if the switch is working. A pic of my pedal arm/switch attached if it helps.

Attached Files:

7. wdstamper

wdstamper Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    Thanks JDZ. My switch works as I can engage it with my finger. With my pedal to the floor, it only moves the flap switch about a 1/4 of a inch and the flap will not open. It needs to move an additional inch or so. Can you please tell me how far your pedal moves the flap switch? I’m assuming an inch or so? Thx.

Walt

8. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

My flaps are disconnected at the hood and I haven’t got them working yet (new to me car). That being said, I think my pedal switch should be in working order.

I went out to look and the pedal moves the switch maybe a 1/2”. Most importantly the pedal bar pushes the switch to the bottom of its switch point. So manually pushing the switch wouldn’t take it any farther.

9. wdstamper

wdstamper Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    Hm....my pedal rod just moves the switch. And that’s with it pressed to the floor. I don’t think the switch location is adjustable but I will look and see. If not, I may need to bend the pedal rod down some. Thank you for the help JDZ.

Walt

10. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Sorry, when I move the lever on the switch by hand, I know how far it can or needs to go at max. The pedal rod moves it to the full switch length (max). Nothing could move the switch farther than the pedal rod is pushing it when I put the pedal all the way down. So in my case, no rubber tube or anything is needed to get the full switch movement. If yours doesn't, bending the rod or adding something to make the switch pole bigger may be what is needed.