Hood Clearance Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by janis80z28, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

The try one from a 1975 Corvette.That has an HEI.

2. janis80z28

janis80z28 Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Chesterland, OH
    I'll see if I still have my factory equipement or see if i can find some if i dont.
    Just got off of live chat with summit racing, not a ton of help but they suggested trying this. https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/sum-239422/overview/
    Might go that route if I cant get my hands on any factory stuff to try.

3. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Unfortunately there is no easy solution. (And I might be in the same situation). Best guess is determine how much clearance is needed, buy a drop base with the needed clearance and knock an indent with a ball peen hammer to try and clear the electric chock. I have seen this suggestion a while back

Can not place your location reference of ......"piece of metal right in the middle...." Are you referring to the center of the top half of the air cleaner? If so, a flat top element will get you some more clearance

Maybe your body mounts have compressed? New ones would get some more clearance

Call Edelbrock

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Jus think outside of the box. Look at the Vintage Racers,SCCA road race cars of our era. for ideas.

5. RMTZ28

RMTZ28 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Alb. nm
    How about a slightly shorter filter. Look on eBay for 16" air filter etc. Then ask a for height.

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

So does K & N filters.

7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    If you can get a shorter filter about 2" tall and still maintain a 1/2" of clearance from air cleaner lid from top of carb I'd go that route.

8. Layne02

Layne02 Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Georgia
    I just went through same issue. Had 9 inch oval cleaner on it, but even with a 2" filter it hit. Went with a 1 1/2" drop base with 3" filter and it clears. Just as a note, a 2'" on the drop base will not clear the carb throttle plate, have to use a 3".