Hood Clearance Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by janis80z28, Jun 26, 2017.

1. janis80z28

janis80z28 Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Chesterland, OH
    Hi every,

My issue here doesn't seem like it should be an issue and I'm hoping there is an easy fix.
    I have a 1980 z28 350 automatic.

i bought an Edelbrock
    The air cleaner on it was super tall so i got a shorter one but it still hits the hood. Do i need to get something different for this so it doesn't hit my hood?

I tried calling summits tech line but i couldnt get through, it was always busy.

Thank you
    Kevin

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I have an Air Gap RPM, Holley 750dp, Eddy drop base cleaner with 3" filter, and have about 1/4" clearance. Are the hood scoop bolts hitting the cleaner, or the hood itself?

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    You need a drop base air cleaner, might as well send that one back. Mine drops down below the carb about 2 1/2 ins.

4. janis80z28

janis80z28 Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Chesterland, OH
    It seems to be the piece of metal right in the middle that is hitting. Here are some pictures. I just took these. these are with the 3inch filter. and i couldnt even shut the good. got it down to when it down then you would have to push on it to close it the rest of the way. like another 2.5 inches. Let me know if you would like to see other photos.

You can also see i have to tuck the bottom of the air cleaner under the distributor.

Kevin

Attached Files:

5. janis80z28

janis80z28 Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Chesterland, OH

6. janis80z28

janis80z28 Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Chesterland, OH
    Hmm ok. I looked on Summitracing and didnt see any. Found one but it said it was for a 2 barrel.
    does edlebrock make one

7. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Does your carb have an electric choke? Maybe it is different for the Thunder series but the Performer series (I have a 1406) with an electric choke does not have clearance for a drop base

8. janis80z28

janis80z28 Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Chesterland, OH
    Yes, it has an electric choke.
    so does this mean back to the drawing board. This doesn't seem like a big modification, by putting a new intake carb and air cleaner on.

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Have you tried your stock factory air filter set up?. Or if you want a drop base air filter air cleaner.You can use one from a 1970-3 Camaro_Or fabricate one Ala NASCAR.

10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Stock 70-73 Camaro air cleaners don't have the provision (dent) for the HEI distributor he has installed.

A later year (75-79) factory 4-bbl air cleaner may clear your carb.

If it doesn't... You can build a semi-stock looking setup with a 2-bbl lid on the 4-bbl base.
    (It uses a shorter filter. Great clearance but the air flow isn't optimal.)