home made sand blasting cabinet idea

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by mikey_350, Oct 22, 2009.

1. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ill edit it with the two videos i made they include everything.

2. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

Aug 12, 1999
    OHIO
    That thing is frigin HUGE!:eek:

3. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    I like that, it rocks.

4. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    Thanks haha, i believe with the lid open it stands 12 feet high . weighs half as much as a boeing 747 and holds more than 20 tons of sand.

it is actually 12 feet high though. , can hold a lot of sand, i bought four 50 lb bags of sand and it will need at least that to get it to flow nice

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g135/mikey_424/tools/?action=view&current=DSCF0386.flv

I got some videos on youtube explaining it. should finish it this weekend if i get my door seal tomorrow

5. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    Well i finished everything, couple leaks, but that was expected, cant seal everything off, works like a charm though! im thrilled!, now i can do car fenders( don't think i will though) and all my camaro parts!. today im gonna do the rear diff, and a deer bumper. I have 200lbs of glass bead in the bottom of it, and it works alot different than silica sand. No dust it seems like, and lasts longer. Ill post a video of it in action today!, i gotta paint the outside of the cabinet white, and black, so my mom volunteered to help me with that, gotta say beats doing it outside in the winter, or having to wear a suit inside a tent, inside the shop do big parts.

6. ATM

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    Watched the video, that is awesome! Does the furnace fan have any sort of filter on it? It blows in correct? And if it blows in, where does it go out?

7. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    correct the furnace fan blows in, no filter, yet, anyways, i should maybe cut a piece of foam and stick it in the outlet. I got a 3 inch exhaust, we went with three inch because it gives the cabinet lots of back pressure still, which makes sure the air will flow out. i put it in the top corner on the short wall. its up high. I got another video, of it in action, but my camera wont load a 700 mb video onto my computer for some reason. ill try again after lunch here. I am doing my rear diff right now, and its working pretty slick

8. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Looks good, can't wait to see it in action!

Dave
    :bowtie:

9. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G02ZMzYOLIo

there is a little video, its slow blasting as theres 200 feet of 1/4 line between the compressor and the cabinet but it works well, got the rear diff done today, and all my mounting brackets, and shackles, and door hinges.

heres a before pic of my rear diff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heres the finished product
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yes i know, missed a spot ;)

finally getting my parts done, next up, radiator support!.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  10. ATM

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    Very cool, I am going to have to make me a cabinet. Not as big though. ;)