home made sand blasting cabinet idea

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by mikey_350, Oct 22, 2009.

1. li0nhart123

li0nhart123 Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2008
    British Columbia
    if you are going to make it out of wood use 3/8 plywood rather than 1/4...it's about the same price but it is much more rigid....also, glue all fo the joints and use screws to keep it sturdy.

2. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

damn thats BIG...lol

good job on the fabrication

3. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    thanks everyone, well i started attaching the sheets today ( 1/2 OSB because it was really cheap, and will give the cabinet strength, and coraplast sheets on the inside ( they are easy to bend for the hopper, and very slick so dust doesnt stick to them, and hold up very well with direct sand blasting, i was very surprised) But i ran out of 1/4 bolts, and nuts, i got some, and they forgot to get me washers.... so i have to wait til the store opens to get some more :confused:

25 holes in 8 feet so, theres about 350 holes to this. Alot of bolts, but i want it to seal good and even so should be good. theres maybe even more than that, just a guess.

I got expired air craft sealant ( its expired but still good for this, just not guaranteed for aircraft safety, so it well seal this really well) every piece is getting lots of this.

Gonna buy two big halogen lights for the top corners facing down.

Only downfall, this cabinet needs 12 feet of space, if i have a 4 foot door on the end that opens up. But it will fit in the back of a long box truck at least.

4. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    im just wondering what would u guys pay for one of these? I am thinking of maybe making a few more, and selling them, if i charged $10 an hour for labour i bet u it would be worth more than materials... and thats about $600

5. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    well i guess i havent posted pictures recently but here are some, man oh man, there is so much labrour in this cabinet, i never thought it would take so long, i spent all my holidays working on this, and not my car : / i dont think i'd sell one for any less than $2500 tell anyone the truth... big cabinet, big money

anyways

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

top door, hinges not welded yet, just painted

[​IMG]

the hopper, almost complete
    [​IMG]

the grate that everything will sit on, made out of 1/2" tubing, and rebar, and flat iron, pretty strong i must say, im confident it would hold a rear end easily

[​IMG]

The balehn shed sealant, had a bunch left over, so im using this to seal everything, very sticky very good stuff. needs to be heated though so i got it in a pale of very very hot water

[​IMG]

one window cut out, another two to go, and plus the arm holes.

[​IMG]

weld on hinges that are going on the doors, two hinges for the side door, 3 for the top door.

[​IMG]

chevy door seal i beleive, out of a late 70's or 80's vehicle, thats what im using to seal both doors off, works really nice

this week ( i got a weeks worth of math to finish before monday and three tests to study for, so no time out in the shop) i plan on getting the side door made, sealing the hopper off completely, putting the windows in, sealing them, welding the doors on, and than mounting an input fan, and cutting and exhuast hole, and mounting two halogen lights, gonna be tight schedule if i do all that, but i gotta get this thing done, and i got my camaro parts so i gotta get moving on cleaning all the parts for painting. i need this done this week.

Nice to see an idea come from my head, and actually progress. nice thing about posting it on the forum, and i hope this gives people the idea that they can build a cabinet like this, instead of buying a really expensive one, or sand blasting outside in freeezing weather.

i say its alot of work, but the big part is figuring out what materials you need, how much of them, and how your gonna attach them without wasting them, and how to build it, once u got that figured out, and got everything u need u can go to town easily on it.

6. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    Well i ended up going out there today... got most of my math done thought i deserve some free time :rolleyes:

Didnt get much done, but i aint complaining either.

finished the grate, had to weld it on, and then trim all the edges so it would fit in there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

holds my weight well

[​IMG]

carved this cabinet three new holes, gonan finish the other glove holes monday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

going to phone PA and get two more sets of these rings so i can have them by the weekend.

also got the lid cleaned up, there was sealant everywhere, stuck it outside, then brought it back in and most of it peeled off nicely

gets closer every day!

7. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    Well its been a long time, i havent finished it yet. been very busy cleaning the shop, school, partying etc.

Whats new:
    - doors welded on
    - end wall is capped off
    -hopper is fully sealed
    -glass windows are sealed
    -furnace fan on the roof
    - grate installed
    -lights installed
    -door finished

to do yet:
    - attack door latches
    -cut hole in grate for hose
    - run an air line into the cabinet for guns
    - cut a hole for a exhaust hose
    - attach chain for top lid, so it doesn't swing right over, pictures coming tomorrow night

8. Lrader99

Lrader99 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 18, 2005
    NW Georgia
    next time i think it needs to be slightly bigger...maybe:eek:

9. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I am jealous...I would love to have a huge cabinet, but I don't think it would fit in my garage! This looks good! :)

10. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    It needs an orange flashing light for when you are using it too. That is awesome. Very nice work. You'll be the GoTo guy for sandblasting in your area when it is done.