home made sand blasting cabinet idea

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by mikey_350, Oct 22, 2009.

1. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    Well i saw a thread in the BS forum and its gave me a great idea. I have a princess auto standing sand blasting cabinet ( leaks, doesn't seal well, just all around a horrible thing) and i cant fit most of my little bit larger parts in it, like a drive shaft, or bumper, ect. I am going to be building a 4x8 wood sand blasting cabinet here is my plan, i am open to suggestions.

- 1/4 inch plywood for the sides
    - 2x4 frame
    - a rubber coating of some sort for the inside of the cabinet ( will help seal it off, and stop the sand from damaging the wood.
    - lights? what kind?
    - 2 duct fans, i5 inch ones.
    - cheap princess auto sand blasting gun, maybe two of them? pretty big cabinet.
    -Plexiglas for the window, buy a 4x8 sheet and cut it down to make a lengthwise window maybe.

not quiet sure what else i will need, but i will have to see as i go along. I want to be able to sand blast big parts, ( bumpers, drive shafts, maybe leaf springs, ect) so thats why the need for a big cabinet, plus i dont wanna do any sand blasting outside in -40 , and i want to pick my days, and not let the weather decide for me too.

any suggestions on lights to use? florescent i find don't illuminate very well to begin with, none the less with dusty glass. would sooner go with halogen lights. and any other suggestions are appreciated too

2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

For the window, I would suggest you just get real glass but buy some 4-5 mil acetate and use double stick tape to protect the glass from getting blasted.

The acetate is cheap and easy to replace and the glass is more resistant to scratching than plexi or lexan.

3. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    ;) that was where i got the idea! from your cabinet i believe. i think im gonna use the rear window out of a pick up, its nice and wide, its glass, and my father suggests i build the frame out of metal, so i'll see what he comes up with for metal, or ill just use wood, gonna make the door on the top open up, so we can set heavy parts in with the forklift, he seemed to like the idea, i was surprised so maybe this weekend i can get started once i finish my Halloween costume :crazy:

4. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    Well here it is, all coming togehter FINALLY haha long wait but its coming along good for about 6 hours of work so far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut 45's out of the angle iron, heated, bend it, welded it back together, gives it a nice rounded look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

set the sheet of puck board ( yes im canadian and im using it for my cabinet, its light, flexes good, and seals, and is cheap so why not?

[​IMG]

cabinet is on its side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

perspective view of how big this thing is.

5. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 18, 2003
    On Wisconsin!
    Nice looking start to a large cabinet;)
    I did all the big stuff outside and it was messy

6. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    yess its coming along really nice i think. The hopper is gonna be tricky, but i expected that before i started to make it. Lots of welding, and tons of holes drilled :screwup: and lots of paint too. Fustrating actually, i see why most people dont make them this big now

but heres an update. Should get it mostly finished tomorrow, or alot more done too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

before i ran another bead over the old mans weld

[​IMG]

he wanted to weld at least 6 inches on the thing to say he welded some of it, haha so i let him while i drilled holes.

7. mikey_350

mikey_350 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Saskatchewan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres where its at now ( except i have one coat of tremclat on it) so other than that, all thats left if to add the coraplast sheets, osb ( i ditched puck board idea as last time we bought puck board it was $20 a sheet and now they want $80, so hello wood again , lay the aviation sealant in, and mount the fan, cut a duct hole, and put a gazillion bolts in, and mount my glass too, got some tempered glass.

8. moms1978

moms1978 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Man Cave