Home Audio

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by dcozzi, Mar 1, 2018.

1. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    I figured some of you would get a kick out of this. I work for a company that installs high end audio/video and one of our vendors offers points towards product so, I got a high end power cable for my receiver. This is it next to the cable that came from the factory. It is soooo overkill, I figured I would post it.
    Audioquest Thunder series AC cord, 1Meter. It even has the DBS system which encases it in 72V to protect it from external noise. That is the little "backpack" near the top.
    I am not a person who believes it made everything sound so much better all of a sudden. My ears are pretty beat up but, it removed the hiss in the speakers when you turn the volume way up with no source playing. I gotta believe in technology. It is my business after all.
    20180301_172606.jpg

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    Yep, looks like over kill to me also. I never worried about the power cord or even through about. I only worried about the size of wire going to the speakers. Do you go to audiokarma.com?

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    You need some serious speaker cables to properly experience the perfection of that power cable...

Dream V14
    Truly directional loudspeaker cables
    http://www.stealthaudiocables.com/products/Dream/dream_V14.htm

[​IMG]

Suggested retail price for the Dream V14 is $14,700 for a 2 meter pair, and $6,600 for each consecutive meter.

I guess what's pictured is a monophonic set as it only has two connections on the one end. :confused:

4. larrylarry

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    Well considering I have my receiver at one end of my garage an the speakers at the other end those wires are just a little bit more than I’d want to pay.

5. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Proof that a some people have more money than sense. Electricity is a flow of electrons. Pretty simple. I have NEVER seen any real science to back up the claims. A lot of people that NEED to find improvement to justify the stupid prices.

6. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    A three foot power cord won't cut it for me no matter what the specs are. That cord and a six foot 99 cent extension cord?

7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    As far as speaker cables go, mine retailed about a grand a pair but, I got them for free. Before I had them, it was Monster Cable 12GA and the highs were nicer. I am going to sell them and go to something just above standard residential speaker wire. Should be able to wire the whole room for what I get for the pair.

A lot of the real expensive stuff is not neutral sounding. Some cables are low, mid or high heavy. Some of the real high-end equipment also has unique sonic signatures as well. You have to match the sonic qualities of the equipment to the sonic characteristics of the cabling. Sounds like a PITA to me. I do not know why you would pay a ton of money and have to deal with this kind of headache. I suspect a step up from good cables to the uber expensive stuff is probably only measurable by machines as well.

People always say there is zero difference in speaker and interconnect cables but, if you do side by side comparisons of cheap and good cables, you will hear a difference. I thought it was all smoke and mirrors for years until I witnessed it for myself. You can not run lamp cord to good speakers and expect good sound. However, if all you want is sound to come out of the speaker and that's it, use what you got. I believe you can use whatever you want to wire a speaker if it is going in a bathroom, on a patio, in a garage or anywhere it has to go through an in-room (in-wall) volume control. In those environments, it makes no difference.

Twisted_Metal, since those cables are mono-wire on the receiver side and bi-wire at the speaker and most nice speakers have a bridge clip on the speaker's binding posts anyway, maybe it is to look like you are using all available connections?

Bikefixr, I think what they try to engineer out is inductance, crosstalk and such. And, you are right, the prices of this stuff just gets ridiculous. You have to justify it somehow. Especially when the human ear can no longer hear a difference. When I replaced the factory power cord with this one, the white noise when you turn the volume almost all the way up with no source playing disappeared. That is the only thing I noticed. The noise floor went to zero or near zero. Did I notice the overall sound improve? Nope.

8. larrylarry

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    I’m quite a few steps below you on sound quality but I crank mine up most of the time. I don’t think I could tell the difference at fairly loud levels. My brother is into high end stereo equipment but mostly to resell.

9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I got a 100 ft of low voltage light wire that my buddy was just going to pitch. I used it to run in my garage to my speakers. It is thick and probably will last for ever, made to run under ground He came over and saw the wire run and laughed. He said I should have thought of that. Waste not want not.....

10. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 1999
    Brighton, MI
    I think that power cable is essentially putting a Faraday cage around the A/C lines? I don't have any problem believing that could knock the hiss down, although I'm not sure why just using a grounded shield wouldn't work as well. Electric field goes to zero at the surface of constant potential and all. But I have heard of Faraday cages being charged with a voltage, instead of just grounded. College physics was really a long time ago for me ...