holley help! secondaries dripping

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Camaro-81, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Camaro-81

Camaro-81 Veteran Member

Mar 16, 2000
    apex, nc USA
    thanks for the responces

i took the needle and seat out, it looked clean but i sprayed it anyway, reinstalled it and it doesnt appear to be leaking anymore [​IMG]

one more question tho, will i be better off replacing the metering plate with a metering block?

incidently, this 4 barrel picked up a full second over my 2 barrel, 3 weeks ago i ran a 14.72 @ 93mph and yesterday i ran a 13.73 @ 100mph

2. angel71rs

angel71rs Veteran Member

Jul 28, 2002
    El Paso, TX
    Sometimes trash in the needles will wash out as you lift needle out, as the float pressure isn't keeping it trapped anymore. Watch out for chrome fuel lines, especially Summit brand. Many will flake small bits that end up in the needle, but they eventually stop flaking.

The advantage of a metering block is the easily replaceable jets for tuning purposes. With a plate, the whole plate has to be replaced. So the answer to your question would depend on whether you want to mess with secondary enrichment or not. The stock setup is close for most street cars.

Congrats on the ET chop!

3. ProspectorTim

ProspectorTim Veteran Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Antero Junction, CO
    Three things to keep your Holley happy:

Use Holley rebuild kits and parts.

If you feel that you MUST buy a cheaper rebuild kit, OK; toss the supplied needle & seat and put in HOLLEY needle and seat. Accept no substitues, No exceptions!

Use a good, BIG in-line fuel filter.

------------------
    1974 Camaro Type LT
    1987 Corvette
    1999 Dodge Ram Turbodiesel

4. 784ever

784ever Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Citrus Heights,Ca USA
    I'm Master Tech (A.S.E.) been rebuilding all carbs for twenty years. If sec. nozzles drip fuel you could have a float level thats to high, PLUGGED secondary main well air bleeds (no siphon break). Or incorrectly adjusted secondary throttle plates. Not to mention a high float level can have more than one cause. Usually misadjusted but,could be small debris or a worn viton tip. Adjust float with engine running try to get level even with lower threads in sight plug holes.(raise rpm to smooth level if cam is big). Do this with engine warm and a rag under sight plug. Also keep a fire extingusher handy. P.S. if you can set float ok and still drips close sec throttle screw all the way then screw in till it just touches THEN OPEN 1/4 TURN MORE make sure air bleeds are clear then if problem still persists unbolt that holley and throw it as far as you can then get yourself a Jet perf. Qjet or give that holley a good rebuild.