holley help! secondaries dripping

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Camaro-81, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Camaro-81

Camaro-81 Veteran Member

Mar 16, 2000
    apex, nc USA
    i have a 3310 holley 750 vac secondary carburator

at idle there is gas dripping steadily from the secondary boosters, sometimes it only drips from one of the two

it doesnt do it all the time, sometimes at idle it'll slow down and stumble for about 20 seconds, then go back to normal

i'm pretty sure the float level is good, i'm new to holleys but i think i got it close enough

also, i dont have a metering block on the secondary float bowl, the bowl connects straight to the main carb housing

2. Daniel

Daniel Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2000
    FL
    Sounds like a sticking needle and seat. You should probably take off the secondary bowl and clean with carb cleaner. Also put in a new needle and seat. A quick fix is to unscrew the needle from the top and give it a squirt of carb cleaner. An even quicker fix is to tap the bowl with a hammer a few times, this will dislodge whatever is in the needle/seat, but it will eventually make its way back in there.

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited April 12, 2003).]

3. angel71rs

angel71rs Veteran Member

Jul 28, 2002
    El Paso, TX
    Don't pop off the secondary bowl. One of the things I really like about Holleys is that the needles pop right out the top. To verify your fuel levels, just remove the brass sight plug that is located on each bowl on the passenger side. Fuel should just be dribbling out. If you get a river of gas, there is trash in the needle. If too much flows out, but not a river, float is probably just out of adjustment.

4. ddeennis

ddeennis Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2003
    winfield
    come on guys its not the needle and seat why guess if you dont know the answer camaro81 get some carb cleaner you will see 4 air bleeds on top the carb. along the back side were the squiter would have been if a double pumper while the car is running take the carb cleaner and the little straw that comes with the can and put it over each hole and spray the carb cleaner down each one do it a few times and then check you problem should be solved it has nothing to do with needle and seat.

it doesnt take much for the air bleed holes to plug.

5. dgrewhl

dgrewhl Veteran Member

Oct 28, 2002
    north carolina, USA
    I'd bet on the needle and seat before I would the air bleeds...

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    If it's not the needle and seats or the air bleeds then it's be a loose power valve. It was in my case on the primaries. I wondered why my throttle plates were wet a day after shutdown.

------------------
    Mark
    4spd Z28's owned '68,'71,'77new,'78new,'80new,70 still,daily driver 87 G/N.
    Home Page on 1970 Z28
    http://members.rogers.com/mlvd/

Chevy's Baddest Toys
    http://members.rogers.com/ldd54/

7. ddeennis

ddeennis Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2003
    winfield
    theres no power valves in the sec. on those holleys

8. ddeennis

ddeennis Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2003
    winfield
    ya i bet you would if it was the needle and seat it would not run gas would come straight out the vent tube duh i have been building these holleys for 10 years and seen every problem from them. and i know every fix for them. unlike others who are just guessing

9. angel71rs

angel71rs Veteran Member

Jul 28, 2002
    El Paso, TX
    I've been working on Holleys for about 20 years, and have seen trash in the needles cause dripping boosters plenty of times. No guessing here.

Your attitude suxx. No guessing there either.

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    oops
    3310-2 has the secondary plate minus the metering block and the 3310-1 has the rear metering block.

------------------
    Mark
    4spd Z28's owned '68,'71,'77new,'78new,'80new,70 still,daily driver 87 G/N.
    Home Page on 1970 Z28
    http://members.rogers.com/mlvd/

Chevy's Baddest Toys
    http://members.rogers.com/ldd54/